1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Work pants for snow plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by RonWin, Dec 29, 2011.

1. RonWin

RonWin Senior Member

Hey all,
    I'm trying to pick up some nice durable work pants that will double as some what water resistant for this up coming plow season. I want the durability, comfort, and warmth over all. Anyone have any recomendations? Looking at Carhartt right now but also dont want to spend an arm and a leg.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

these are good.

3. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

4. golfcar

golfcar Member

I prefer just my every day work pants and throw on Carhartt bibs or coveralls depending on wind and temp. I really would rather stay in the seat by the heater.
  5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

The cahartt insulated sherpa pants. You don't need any thermal underwear and they are very comfortable and they are heavy duty. Better then the coveralls as they only com to ur hip and you stay very comfortale. 4th yr on a pair and still going. Inlaws just bought me a new pair this christmas.
  6. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

7. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

Flannel lined Dickie's
  8. NickT

NickT Senior Member

9. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I wear shorts and slippers when I'm plowing, 'course I gots the climate control set at 85F. :D
  10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I prefer a pair of Cordura Chaps because they're easy to take off when not needed and easy to get one and they take next to room in the cab. My Jacket covers my a$$ and all I'm looking for is something for wind protection and keep snow off my jeans.
    I also have a pair to wear over my shorts while I'm running a trimmer in the summer. This pair is made out of ballistic nylon on the front, nylon mesh on the back of the leg and the front has Kevlar patches that run from the knee on down.

I got them from these guys, http://coloradochaps.com/original_chaps.html
    The nice thing is they do custom stuff if you want something different or a special size.
    Mine were less that $100.00 a pair and well worth the money.
  11. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

Cabelas fleece lined jeans for me.
  12. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Carhartt bibs for me, and my knee-high 1200 gram insulated waterproof hunting boots, and a high vis sweatshirt. keeps me warm, dry and safe.

I use fleece jeans and a carhart high vis sweatshirt coat
  14. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I never understood the guys that got all dressed up warm for plowing. I get out and shovel occasionally at some stores we do if the shovelers are behind or to make things easier but very rarely do I get out of my seat unless it is to get a coffee or go in a store. I have a jacket on the seat beside me and a pair of jeans and a tshirt usually with the heat on fairly high and I usually have the window down halfway or so. I wear waterproof hiking boots with a good pair of socks. My question to you is, are you going to be out of the truck a lot doing shoveling and stuff? If not, why would you need to have heavy duty jeans. No different than sitting on your couch.
  15. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

16. CHasselberger

CHasselberger Member

Try the firehose line from duluth trading.
  17. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

I always start off with a base layer of duofold, thick cotton socks then upperbody with another layer toped off with wool sweater. Then outerlayer dickie hi vis pants outershirt and hi vis vest. Wolveriene gortex thinsulate boots and a head cover. All water repelant also in the truck 3m hi vis jacket and trench coat memphis foam gloves with cotton linners. Thats just to start, we are in and out of the trucks all the time either loading salt , sidewalks checking equipment ect. If my guys sat in a 85deg truck there is no way they would get out or they would be asleep the first time they had some down time. Just my 2 cents..
  18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'm with you on this, most of the time I'm in a pair of jeans, long sleeve T shirt and put on a Charhart Jack-Shirt when I get out. When it's blowing or snowing hard I put on the Chaps and a Gortex shell.
  19. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Trucks do go down, people do go off the road, not gonna catch me freezing. I'd rather have it and not need I then need it and not have it. Kinda common sense for our line of work...
  20. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

A good pair of carhartt insulated wok pants are well worth the investment.