1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Work lights for snowblowing

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by lawns4life, Nov 29, 2011.

1. lawns4life

lawns4life Member
    from mi

Hi guys, i've been searching for hours and can't find what I need. I do residential snow removal with a 2 stage snowblower, and often find myself working in the dark. This can be a problem at times and i'm looking into ideas for lights.

What I want to know is, is there any type of work light that I can mount to the bed rail of my truck it will point at the driveways when i'm parked on the street. One on each side on seperate switches would be nice, but just one side is all I really need.

I would need something that can be run with a switch so I can turn it on when the truck is off. Would this drain the battery and not work? The longest i'd say they would be on is an hour, but usually a half hour or less. The light doesn't need to be very bright, just enough so I can see a little bit.

Thanks for any thoughts on this

2. LoweJ82

LoweJ82 Junior Member

you can get a spotlight like the cops use, depends how far you wanna go with it, If I was going to go your route I would get a off road light and drill and mount it on bed railing.

I plan to get a 55 watt off road light and hook it up to a battery and see how long it last, then if it last a few hours mount all of it on my blower.

3. grasskeepers

grasskeepers Member

what about a a led spot light on your snow blower

4. LoweJ82

LoweJ82 Junior Member

that would have to work best, battery would last for a while.

5. lawns4life

lawns4life Member
    from mi

6. LoweJ82

LoweJ82 Junior Member

I don't think id risk it, being cold out is bad on a battery then a 55 watt halo light plugged in may be a quick drain, what kind of truck you running? I have a 7.3 diesel and it doesn't shut off till I get home, I could be wrong but I dont think most trucks burn much at idle, unless your worried about theft.

7. lawns4life

lawns4life Member
    from mi

My truck is a 96 F150 5.0L. I'm not worried about theft much I just dont want to leave it running. My whole route is in 2 square miles, so I dont drive much. I can be out for 5-10 hours depending on the snow, so idling is not really an option. This is not a necessity, just something i'm looking at doing to make some of those late nights a little easier

Or could I wire something like this up to a switch and be able to run it with the truck/lights off?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200482377_200482377

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  8. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

An led light should allow you to keep it on while working, start up and move, keep it on while working, start up and move and so on. If you feel at some point that you are draining your batt too much couldnt you let it idle for one drive and then shut it off at the next. Or like mentioned mount one to the snow blower and let it run off of a battery where the engine is running while you have the light on.

9. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

I mounted a led spot light on my blower with a switch, works great at night.

10. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

I would go with something on the blower (LED) before I put something on the truck and shut it off. Starting the truck, driving a small distance and shutting it off, along with the cold weather, and a constant draw on the battery might end up turning into a bad night for you.

11. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

If you go LED you will be able to leave the light on and the truck off for hours. LED is the only way to go.

12. 04tundra

04tundra Senior Member

exactly what i was gonna say. get a couple LED aux lights and you'll be able to leave them on for hours. The DDM tuning LED lights seem to be popular. i ordered 2 for my truck and I'm waiting for them to be delivered. heres a link

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/LED-Work-Lamp

13. lawns4life

lawns4life Member
    from mi

so you're saying that I could run something like the led you posted above this? And run it for up to an hour at a time and still be able to start the truck. I dont mind idling for 5 minutes between houses to help recharge the battery a little bit if that would help.

14. H&HPropertyMait

You could run those suckers almost all night with the truck off and have no problems.... Led technology is awesome, they draw very little power

15. H&HPropertyMait