1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

work light question

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by bristolturf, Dec 22, 2010.

1. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

Hey guys, looking to add in some work lights on a salter I have. I have been considering adding just the regular old clear work light to it, but then I saw all of the DOT trucks have amber work lights. I was just wondering if there is a reason they use these as oppose to just regular white lights? I was thinking maybe it helps them see salt flow better but maybe im way off.

Does anyone know where you can find the amber colored work lights? All I can find is white lights, and amber light bars with work lights
  2. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I could probably order one, but I don't see the benefit. A white light will work better. I would recommend going with an LED worklight as they draw much less power and are much whiter.
  3. bristolturf

i was at a gas station yesterday after i posted, and was talking to a county plow drver there and asked him why they use amber spot lights. He said it helps to reduce the glare. Said a few of the trucks have white lights on them, but they are terrbile compared to the amber. They have like 6 amber spots on each truck, one by the right wing, left wing, one on the top of the box shinning into the box, back left of the box shining onto the spread salt, and then two under the box by the brake lights on the chasis. They also run amber headlights on the plows and then have to big white spot lights on the top of the cab. Guy said amber colored lights are much better then using white lights, he said its not about being bright, but being able to see more clearly, and the ambers do much better than white.
  4. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

this is true....ever use a 3500K set of HID in the snow?..the yellow ones...

it's like there isn't any snow falling...it is amazing......the amber does not reflect and light up every snow flake the way white does...

ill look into where to get them 4 ya
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  5. Dissociative

6. Dissociative

Email Zoom
    Grote Par 36 Fog Lamp 64123

SKU: GRO64123
    In Stock
    Availability: Usually ships in 6-10 business days

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS Material: Steel Finish: Chrome Bulb: #4415A, PAR 36, 35 Watt, 7,000 C.P. Voltage Amp: 12 V - 2.7 AMP Accessory: Housing: 64120

about 30.00 each.....
  7. Dissociative

heres just the bulbs for the rubber mounts..

Energy Used 35 Watts
    Volts 12.80
    Bulb Shape PAR-36
    Base Screw Terminal (Multi Purpose)
    Beam Spread 40° x 5°
    Class and Filament C-6
    Diameter (in) 4.500
    Length (in) 2.750
    Average Rated Life (hr) 300
    Light Output 7,000 Candle Power
    GE 4415A
    Osram Sylvania 4415A

this one looks like what i would try....12.00 a bulb

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  8. bristolturf

do you run those just as spot lights on the back or where do you have them?