1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Words of wisdom from the SnowGods

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by coopdogg725, Aug 18, 2006.

1. coopdogg725

coopdogg725 Junior Member

Hello, I am new to the forum and new to the Snow removal Business.

I have about 15 grass customers who want me to start snow blowing there driveways and sidewalks. I have researched all different makes and models of snowblowers and I have come to the conclusion that the best buy for the type of work I am going to be doing is the Simplicity Commercial Duty Two-Stage Snowblower model 1390E. It has a 13 hp Briggs & Stratton Intek motor, 38 inchs of clearing path, Electric shoot rotation, throws up to 45 feet, all the bells and whistles and goes for about $2,299. I have several questions about this machine. (1) in your professional opinion is this machine as good as I have been reading? (2) Do I really need the Front Counterweights, and what are the pros and cons of these? (3) Do I really need Hand Warmers? (4) Are Drift Cutters a huge necessity? (5) Is purchasing a Snow Cab worth while?

I also plan on moving this machine around in my 6x8 nordic trailer, I have never pulled a trailer around during winter time, Is this a Bad idea? Should I get ramps for my truck or use the trailer?

Thank you for your help with these questions.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I would put a plow on the truck and stay warm.:nod:

3. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

Welcome to Plowsite. How big are the driveways? The plow idea might be the way to go. As for Simplicity snow blowers I've never owned or personally known any who has but they have a good reputation on the message boards I frequent. It sounds like you're going to spend a lot of time blowing snow so I'd go for the cab in which case your going to need the counterweight. If you decide not to get the cab the counterweight won't make much of a difference. Drift cutters aren't standard on the Simplicity? I'd get the hand warmers. I have them on my Ariens and wouldn't want to be without them on a cold day. If I could eliminate an option I'd drop the electric chute rotation. Getting a set of ramps sounds better than towing a trailer around in the snow.

Edit:

By the way wider isn't always better. You might be better off with a narrower chute and the same size engine. Will you be able to fit the machine in all the places you need to clear? How about getting it into your cellar or shop if you have to work on it?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  4. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

I have a 96-ish Simplicity blower. Really happy with it. It has taken some serious abuse and worked fine every time. I would look into plows also. Don't forget, sometimes blowers don't work well in wet snow. I don't have hand warmers and I don't need them. I am busy while using the blower and never seem to be paying attention to see if my hands are cold.
    I can say with all certainty that I have never noticed or said "gee my hands are cold" while out there.

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

For that kind of money I too would put a plow on your truck, but if blowing snow is your only option Yes to hand warmers and ramps, no to electric/weights and cab. The cab won't like to be transported. Trailers don't like to be pulled in the snow when you'll be out. Just get ramps that won't let you slip. Get the biggest engine you can but not the widest machine. This way if your in wet snow it won't have a prob. Carry lots of extra sheer pins, a can of fix-a-flat, extra gloves and ski goggles. Oh and the scrapers are nice when your clearing out the mailbox pile left by the town plow. and spray FluidFilm everywhere

6. coopdogg725

Thxs for the replies. There are two main reasons I am looking into blowing instead of plowing.

(1) Customers asked for blowing instead of plowing because of damage done to property cause of errant plows.

(2) Competition. There are at least 10 major plow crews that are within 15 miles of me. Competition is fierce. Not counting the uninsured plowers running around.

I Figured if I am going to make any headway I would enter the business at a different angle. This summer I lost at least 20 bids on lawns because the customers wanted year around service, and snow removal at that time wasn't in the game plan.
    I am also worried if I put a plow on my truck what kinda damage I will do to the front end. If I am only doing 10-15 small driveways a winter does that warrant putting a plow on my $20,000 truck? I just bought a used 1998 GMC SLT last summer to haul my equipment around. In less than 11 months I put 70,000 miles on it. Yes that reads 70,000 miles lol. Now I am looking to buy a new truck. I need it to last and don't want to ruin it with a plow.

So you see the problem I have with putting a plow on my truck, figured it would be easier to just snow blow.

7. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

In 11 months you drove 70,000 miles? ??

8. coopdogg725

Yes sir lol, I bought the truck on June 12, 2005 with 102,000 kilometers = 63,379 miles (roughly) , by may 1 2006 I had 215,000 kilometers = 133,594 miles (roughly). So ya I drove about 70,215 miles in 11 months.

It is actually still running too lol. Was a real steal, bought it for $3,500 from a mechanic I know. It booked for at the time for $9,000. Below I have a pic of it. But know I am looking for a brand new truck that will last as long.

P8050124.JPG

9. PPMnh

PPMnh Junior Member

with that much mileage it's time to buy a cummins diesel:nod: ;)

10. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

how do you get any work done when you drive 80,000 a year??????? how much do you spend in fuel per year??? $25,000??? i'd go with a used dodge manual trans with cummins 2wd

11. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

If he is a young guy (still single kid, no offense) I can see the 70K miles happening. They drive around all the time. When your young, it's fun to drive. If this is the case, he could easily put on 30-35k just from knocking around and the others from work.

12. coopdogg725

Nope not single and not to young lol, I am 33 been married 2 yrs now and a proud parent of a 10 month old daughter.
    I work 5 days a week from 3:30 pm till 10:30 pm Sunday through Thursday as a cook at a restaurant located 35 miles from home.
    I work Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from 11:00 Pm till 3:00 Am at a college night club located 35 miles from home.
    Sunday through Wednesday (weather permitting) I mow lawns at my 44 sites spread out in a semi circle about 45 miles from home. I try to do these lawns from 8:00 am till 2:00 Pm before I head off to my other job.
    So actually all these miles are accumulated from driving to and from work. Would love it if they were from screwing off lol.
    Just going to and from my job as a cook puts 350 miles a week, bouncing puts around 210, and Landscaping puts around another 400 a week on. Plus all the miles I put on doing estimates on new jobs and doing basic maintenance for other clients. Thats not counting driving around on personal time when we don't use the wifes car.

P.S if you look at my avatar and at the pic below you will see why I work so much lol.

WORKINGFORRYE.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  13. TheLawnShark

TheLawnShark Junior Member
    from PA

Pulling a trailer in the snow is not bad. The only problem you will have is stopping suddenly. The trailer can swing side to side. Otherwise not much of a problem.
    Now if the snow is deep your truck may not have enough traction to pull the weight unless those tires are thin and tall on the trailer.
    Think of those who trailer 4wheelers on snow mobiles in the snow. A tractor, blower is no different.

14. skidmark845

skidmark845 Member
    from ny

Coop, nice house. The only thing I can tell you about Simplicity blowers is that they are very reliable. When I bought my house they left me a Simplicity blower that was over 10 years old and that thing started with one pull. It cutally started better then my new Toro.
    I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Good luck.