1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wording Estimates

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Ipushsnow, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Hand out 10 estimates with total cost of applying salt listed-example: "Salting-$150 per application".
    GET NONE OF THESE JOBS

Hand out 10 estimates with salt listed per pound-example: "Salt billed at $.20 per pound".
    GET 5 phone calls!!!!

Something to think about when you are bidding. And of course if you do the second method you have to deal with them freaking out on you when they get that first invoice!! :dizzy:

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

woudlnt they ask how many pounds your going to use??? i know i would

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sir ,please don't use more then 2 pounds of salt ea. time.

4. azandy

azandy Member

We have been estimating jobs with salt per pound for a long time. Have never had any problem selling it this way. Usually I give them a verbal amount used and tell them it varies. Then just list the $.20 per pound or what ever it may be on their contract. Most customers will not look at it and think $400.00 a ton, but may try to compare it to them buying bag salt at the local Home Depot or where ever.

5. big acres

big acres Senior Member

and... what method do you use to weigh the salt?

6. azandy

azandy Member

We guesstimate. ( Is that a word?) Example, If our V-box trucks hold about 3000 lbs, we figure out over a number of apps about how much is used. We then get a ball park figure for each job and vary off of that.