1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

word of advice

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Jay brown, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

had the tires changed on our 2000 f 550 and they could not get the inside duals off. they bent the hell out of the wheels all of the way around trying to get them off. they broke their air hammer chiseling on them. eventually they just changed the tires with the wheels on. i guess the wheel was rusted the hub. the wheels had been on for 7 years.

2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

So what was the word of advice? :D

3. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

don't leave them on for 7 years?

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I would find a new tire comapny. We've had this on a couple of our 550's and no bent wheels, no changing tires while wheel is mounted. All they need to do is soak them in penetrating oil, loosen the lug nuts a little and drive around until they break free. Then cover the hub and wheel in anti-seize or something of that nature.

5. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

We are having the brakes done on our 550 today and I mentioned to the mechanic to be careful getting the rears off. He looked at me and said why? I told him about the "welded" on feature of these wheels and he just said "I have as much air pressure as I need”.

I was also told about the driving around with loosened or missing lug nuts but I have heard that it doesn't always work. The mechanic ended up using an air piston setup between the frame and the wheel and he finally pushed them off and pretty much totaled the aluminum wheels in the process.

6. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

we pull the wheels off every truck evry fall and lube the axel hub as well as the caliper slides as part of our pre winter inspection. With over 40 trucks it takes time but if the wheel ever has to be changed(and they have been),it is worth every minute.

7. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

We run into that at work alot, we heat the steel rims with a torch, use a sledge, but only on the tires, air hammer, and PB Blaster, and once they are off anti-seeze the snot out of them for next time.

8. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

How do cover expenses on a truck if you don't use it enough to wear a set of tires in seven years? No wonder you don't mind the F-550's I drive my trucks 30 to 60k miles a year. And in K.C. we don't get that much snow1

9. Mark Oomkes

Guess you wouldn't have a problem with the wheels rusting to the hubs then would you?

I have to commend you, it wasn't exactly a positive post, but you didn't bash Fords either. Maybe he makes so much money by being optimistic, that he can afford to have a truck that isn't used much so the tires last that long.

10. Jay brown

i mainly use it to pull our forklifts around with, also use it to push snow. the tires were still in great shape(30k miles on them) just wanted something with more traction. i cover expenses by saving myself $100-$150 every time i move my tractor myself. ford vs. chevy.....who cares get over it.

11. mr.plow

mr.plow Member
    from Toronto

Impossible to leave them on, F550 is a comercial vehichle and the requires saftery stiker every year. Don't they have to pull off wheels all around to do a proper inspection?

12. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't know about the great white north but around here the garages that do the inspections have never pulled a wheel off of a single commercial or passenger vehicle I've owned in over twenty years. If you’re in a DOT inspection facility that’s a different story, but even then the troopers are usually just checking slack adjusters on the big trucks from what I've seen.

13. Jay brown

it just has a light duty truck plate on it (36 gvw). sticker every two years here. they usually just check the lights, horn, tire tread and windshield. they are very lax where we go because they know who we are, very typical in a midwest hick town.

14. Mark Oomkes

In MI, only if it's over 10K will it need an inspection. Remember, every state, province, etc is different.

15. mr.plow

mr.plow Member
    from Toronto

true but i'm from Toronto ON and up here they check alot on the truck in order to get the safety sticker. Or at least they do to me.:confused: :)