1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wood splitter

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sharpshooter77, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Well guys in the goodness of using up all of the so called junk around my house i have decided to build a wood splitter for my uncle. He is 60 years old and in great shape and has 5 cords of wood that needs to be spilt, He mostly does it by himself with an axe, a wedge and a sledge. So I told him this year I make you a splitter. I have a 12 volt hydro pump good for a few tons and I have some hydro pistons lying around. So I figure that I can put something togethor tomarrow. The only thing is I will need a 12 volt power inverter. That turns 110 volt ac in to 12 volt dc. I kinda need a new project I'll post some pics and keep you guys updated.
  2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

our log splitter is 34 tons. I hope you only plan on splitting small stuff with a couple ton splitter.
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

you'll have trouble finding a cheap inverter that will give you the current you need at 12V.

You will likely be better off buying a 110V hydropack- many surplus places have them.
  4. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

For right now I have put the splitter on the back bunrer for the time. Also I have thought of take taking one of the bobcats from work and using the central hydraulics on that to run the splitter.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Funny story about splitting wood:
    My Dad tells me (15) and my brother (12) that if we split it, he will stack it.
    We worked for 6 hours with manual splitting tools and did 7 pickup loads.
    The pile was 6-7 foot high and 15 foot around when we got done.
    Mom pointed out it was his turn to stack it when he got home from work.
    My Mom, Brother and I still laugh every time someone brings it up!
    The look on his face was priceless!
  6. Greenworks

Greenworks Junior Member

Pick up one or two marine batteries, 1000 CCA. Keep a small charger on them both. This way, you will stay < $200.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The cost of a constant draw inverter to run the pump would be real high. Two batteries would be a good idea. His uncle could split till the pump slows down.Then charge them up and start over in a few hours.