1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wont stay running

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by wheeley24, Feb 1, 2009.

1. wheeley24

wheeley24 Junior Member
    from Iowa

need help trying to figure out why my 1998 chev 350 vortec quits when you put it in reverse. All gauges and dash act like a direct short. un hook batteries and let set awhile and it will start right up and run good. all gauges will work.
    i have replaced the signal swich and horn control. started up and ran perfect. went to back it out of garage and as soon as i put it in reverse it quit.
    Anyone had this problem???
    help if possible. need ideas

Thanks
    Don Wheeler< wheeley24 >

2. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

sounds like a vacuum leak but may be electrical short

3. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I agree with russ.... vaccuum leak.....

4. wheeley24

wheeley24 Junior Member
    from Iowa

thank you both but where would i start to look for vacuum leaks at . why would vacuum have anything to do with it quitting when put in gear. ????????

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

They do this.

01 F250 with v8 5.4l it would do exact problem when put in R it act like stupper then died

Found that crook mechanic unplug PVC valve off valve cover. That cause problem

6. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I'd listen for air leaks or whistling sounds. Hook up a vacuum gauge if you have a leak it will tell you. Could also spray carb cleaner while running and when the idle changes you sprayed where the leak is. If its dying though you probably got a bigger leak and it should be easy to find. Does it die when you put it in drive?

7. wheeley24

wheeley24 Junior Member
    from Iowa

thank you for the info. But the problem we think might be a dead short as when you put in reverse the whole dash lights up and shuts down. have not had it happen in drive. The high beam indicator comes on and the signals come on and all the lights on dash come on and it quits

Real pain

8. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

You might try putting a code scanner on it and see if anyhting comes back.

9. daninline

daninline Senior Member

broken motor mount and ground problem? use a jumper cable from the ground on the battery to a good grounding point on the motor and see if it still happens.

Will it die out if you give it some gas?
    is the tranny over full

10. wildbro 1

wildbro 1 Junior Member

What kind of plow is on the truck

03 ford 250 8.6 boss air flo stainless salter
    06 2500 hd 7.6 boss 7.6 snowman back plow
    96 gmc 2500 7.6 western unimount 7.6 daniels pull plow
    95 ford 250 7.6 unimount

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  11. wildbro 1

wildbro 1 Junior Member

it only does it in reverse not any other gear like 3 2 or 1

12. wheeley24

wheeley24 Junior Member
    from Iowa

Thanks for all the replys guys----great for the help and ideas.

I put a scanner on shows no codes. When it shorts out scanner will not read. The dash lights up and signals come on. also have plow and spreader all unhooked. top light unhooked. plow unhooked.

start it up after hooking up batteries and will run fine. put it in reverse with the brake on to get it in gear and it will die. If i leave batteries hooked up will run them down overnight.

Both batteries are reading full charge and amps--1000 amp cranking batteries installed --two battery system.

Don

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Corrosion in the trailer plug/wiring. Happens more than people realize.

14. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Who would of thought the trailer plug ??????? That's good to know !!!!

15. wheeley24

wheeley24 Junior Member
    from Iowa

ok guys here is what happened to this now. I had my stepson bring his code reader and scanner over and i hooked up batteries. no codes , shorted out, dash lit up and taillights came on. unhooked batteries and rehooked batteries. cleared scanner no codes no shorts. started up. as soon as i unhooked scanner it would quit. no start. plug in scanner and would run. figure that one out.
    Been a real pain in the butt. Help Please

16. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

I would get someone to put it in reverse as it was running and check all your wiring harness in the engine compartment for a short and mainly around the steering column to see if the rod from the steering to the transmission is rubbing on a wire or harness. If you can't find any broken wire it might be in the steering column. I would go wiggling the harness away from the body and see if you put it in R and if it dies. Sounds like you have a live short grounding to the body.

17. wheeley24

wheeley24 Junior Member
    from Iowa

thank you will try

18. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I think you are going to have to go back into the steering column and see if you didn't knock some wires around that would cause it to short out on you. That's what I would do anyhow since it was apparently running fine before the work in the column but has this problem since.

19. wheeley24

wheeley24 Junior Member
    from Iowa

thanks Russ will give anything a try right now . will be back with update

Don

20. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Like b&b said check trailer plug and tail/ Reverse lights for bad ground. If I remember right on these trucks the fuel pump shares a ground with the taillights. So if your trailer plug is shorting out from reverse lights to parking lights the dash lights will come on. good luck got to love electrical gremlins