1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Won't stay charged

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by TopNotchLS, Nov 28, 2006.

1. TopNotchLS

TopNotchLS Junior Member

I have a 91 F-350 and with or without the plow on it, it won't stay charged. I've changed the battery and alternator. Does any one have any ideas. Thanks a lot.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Have you checked the fuses?
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Are you sure the alternator is actually working? You may have a popped fusible link or a broken / fried wire or a bad connection somewhere.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Do and check all of the things mentioned.above.
    Then start to look for a short or power draw.
    turn the key to off.
    disconnect the pos from your battery,
    pull the fuse for the radio.
    Then cheek for voltage between the pos post and the pos cable.
    The reading should be 0 volts.

if you have any voltage you can do it two ways start pulling fuses until the voltage drops to 0 when the voltage drops that is your power draw.

or pull all of the fuses and start to push them back in and when the voltage goes up you have the circuit that is at fault.
  5. TopNotchLS

TopNotchLS Junior Member

thanks a lot I'll start trying these things in the next few days.
  6. MickiRig1

If you have a Volt Ohm Meter check the system. It should be 12.5 -> 12.6 Volts not running. When running it should be 13.5 -> 14.5 Volts. When running the plow etc it will drop below 12.5 that's normal for the load involved. Most auto parts stores will test your system for free. Even Mom and Pop places will do it. They hope to sell you parts. Charge the battery / batteries and have it tested.
  7. wilfred17

wilfred17 Junior Member

This might sound stupid, but check the battery light on the dash when the key is on. On my 89 f-250 it was needed to excite the field on the alternator. I went through 5 alternators before discovering the bulb worked out of the socket(from me beating on the dash)
  8. MickiRig1

On My 89:
    I went over some railroad tracks and my light came on. I tested the system and the alternator was not working. I pulled it off and took it apart. The Little copper field wire had broke.