1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wont start.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by WilliamOak, Dec 27, 2008.

1. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

truck wont start and I was wondering if you guys had any quick ideas on what it could be?
    Truck is a 2001 dodge 360 v8 auto. It will click but won't turn over. has over 1/2 a tank of gas and ran fine last night at 10:00. Just had a remote start installed on the 23rd. any help would be nice. My mechanical knowledge is limited so try to dumb it down if you can.

2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Is your battery good? Test it without anything on, then with the key on and when you are trying to turn it over. The remote start may be related since it was just done. Does it do the same thing when you try it from the remote as the key?

3. WilliamOak

wont start from either key or remote start. Battery was new when I bought the truck in Oct.

4. Indy

Indy Senior Member

dead battery or bad starter solenoid............that my guess.

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

jump the solenoid w/ a screwdriver. did it turn over then?

6. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

charge up your bat thats my 2 cents

7. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Lol did u ck to see if ur headlights are bright? If so u may have a bad starter? Could try to lightly tap on it with an extension or something while someone holds the key over. That is if the headlights are good and bright.

8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

any luck here colin?

9. WilliamOak

yup. jumped it with the honda. It was like it wasnt getting any gas, even though that was the case. not supposed to be 50, humid and rainy for a while.... has started fine in the cold. someone told me that it was the distributor, and they inhibit the starting in wather like this.

10. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

might be the fuel pump
    next time it does this climb under there and hit the bottom of the pump with a hammer/rock whatevers handy
    my dads 94 did this because one of the magnetic balls in the feul pump that spins it broke and when it would stop on this spot it wouldnt turn

11. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

did you check spark from spark plug?

did you try spray with carb cleaner or starter fluid in air filter's housing see if it start or not.

12. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

He said it would click and not turn over. If it was the pump it would turn over and not fire.

13. ColliganLands

yes but in the second post he says it was like there was no fuel
    try spraying throttle body cleaner in the throttlebody take the intake tube off.
    or it might be a starter and the solenoid is clicking

14. WilliamOak

collgian, It was getting fuel just fine and I was just using that to describe what was going on so people would get a better idea. sorry for any misunderstanding.

15. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Whoops, Missed the second post...

16. ColliganLands

ok
    then id say check for spark, throttle body crapped up, starter

17. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

So answer this, does it TURN OVER or does it turn over and not start.. Thats two completely different things. If its just clicking every time your turning the key it may be starter related, and the contacts in those starters are known for needing replacement. The parts can be had for under 20$ and replaced quite easily.

18. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

he got it running