1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wont start

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by karl klein, Feb 14, 2004.

1. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i screwed up today. i was washing my car with the truck running and while washing off the engine with the hose it started to idle very badly. aftyer a minute or two i shut it off and now it won't start at all.

best guessis?? please.

1997 chevy suburban 7.4ltr.
  2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

If I were to guess I would look for water in the distributor cap, or bad plug wires, coil wire or coil. The biggest problem is replacing the distributor cap on a 97 7.4 vortec it is absolutely NO fun. It is buried in the back behind the intake plenium with a bunch of crap above it. I would replace the distributor cap, rotor, and plug wires. JMO. I would would use genuine delco parts. Don't use the cheap stuff, you will regret it. I have not found an aftermarket set of plug wires that fit well or will last. If any of these items have over 80-100K its way past time to replace them anyway. Might as well do a major tune-up. Use dielectric silicon on both ends of the plug wires.