1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

won't start in wet weather

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by xtreem3d, Nov 3, 2009.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

hi guys,
    i have a '97 360 ram that will crank over but not fire when it has rained alot. the last time, as a last resort because the distributor is so far back, i sprayed wd40 on the cap and it eventually started...what i'd like to know is if there are some tricks to help stop this. i'm guessing the moisture is actually inside the cap so maybe when i sprayed it i just got lucky and it was ready to start anyway..btw/new cap,plugs , wires ,coil
    thanks,
    steve

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

My friends Ram does the same thing. Try to keep the water away as much as you can.

3. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

It's not unheard of too get a bad new coil. It does happen and it sounds deffinately like a bad coil.

4. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

Steve, my truck did the same thing last Friday when we got all that rain. It took me a half hour to get is started and it ran like crap until the heat of the engine dried it all out. I took it to the shop, since I just had a tune up, and they told me that it is not uncommon to see this with all the rain we had. The one tech also told me there is a spray that you spray down the whole distributor cap, with plug wires and all attached, and it will seal it off. Don't know it is called.

5. prostk2

prostk2 Member

Just a thought but maybe your crank sensor wire connectoris getting wet---give that a check before the snow starts falling!!

6. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Probably sliicone spray. Been using it for years for this very purpose...

7. xtreem3d

i have used wd40 and spray wire drier on the cap and undid the connections too...but if it is inside the cap "drowning " the rotor i won't be able to get to it easily

8. John from OH

John from OH Member

I had that problem on my '98. Get a can of Fluid Film and spray the coil and coil wire. That's what finally solved my problem. Dealer replaced all the plug wires, cap, rotor, coil and that was just a temporary solution. It's been 2 years since I sprayed the Fluid Film and I haven't had a problem since.

9. xtreem3d

thanks john...i guess fluid film will build a better "sheild" aroung the electronics...i'll pick some up tomorrow,
    steve