1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Won't raise with wings...

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mmwb, Dec 19, 2005.

1. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

I've a Western pro 8', w/prowings, conventional w/cable pump. The thing doesn't seem to want to lift with the wings on. It'll lift maybe three inches or so, but that is the limit. When I'm stacking and the blade is basically riding up the pile, the cylinder will fully extend--and when I take the wings off its fine--but it doesn't seem to be able to do the trick with the full weight of the blade and wings. Fuid levels are fine and, as stated, it works well without the wings. Is there something I can do to get more fluid pressure/flow to the lift cylinder. I just put the wings on and like what they do, but need to be able to lift the blade higher than 3"! Would turning the lift valve screw in a tad be a possible solution? Per the manual, I assume if I go to far that I'll pay in poorer angling performance.

Any imput would be appreciated, before I mess with it.

2. topher

topher Junior Member

Hey mmwb. I'm no western mechanic, and I can't say i've ever dealt with this cable pump you have, but... did you ever watch Tim the tool man? Who needs pressure guages anyhow. Sounds like the pressure relief on the pump may need a wee tweek. I'm having a similar problem with one of my own plows but thats another story. I'm not sure if the pump relief valve is the lift valve screw you mentioned. On the western pro straight blades i run, there is a pressure relieve ajustment nut right on the pump itself. Not a screw. My dealer said that you can count on having to turn these in about a 1/4 turn per season to keep up with the relieve springs change in tension. Kind of like the springs on a truck getting tired after a while i would say. I'm not sure if your pump has one on it, but being a pro plow i would guess it would. Im sure you can still hear the pump doing( or trying ) to do its thing when trying to lift the blade. Should this be the case, I'd bet my snowmobile boots that raising the relief presure will do the trick. I can't see how this would change your blade angle speed either. Good luck.

3. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

You may want to take a look at the strainer in the pump. If it is getting clogged it may restrict the fluid flow and cause slow lifting.

4. 78W200

78W200 Member

Get a pressure gauge and check the pump it should be between 1650-1850 psi. If you go much over that you will blow the o-ring out under the pump. If it is under that each 1/4 turn on the relief valve equals about 225 psi.

5. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

Appreciated the responses guys. I couldn't find a pressure gauge, though I may order one eventually. The screen and fluid looked good, so I turned the pressure relief screw on the pump itself in 1/4 turn. Now it'll raise the blade with the wings about 12". Without the wings, it raises to 17 1/2" (the max the cylinder can go). 12" is much better than the previous 3 or 4, but do you think I'd gain by further adjustment. I don't want to go too far. Maybe 1/8th turn? ...or another 1/4? I bought this used last spring and by the looks of it, it hadn't had a lot of maintenance. I doubt that the pressure was ever adjusted on it.

6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Even if you can raise it 12", if it is for transport, once you get going down the road, hit it, and it will raise right up. :)

7. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

I did increase the pressure another 225 psi and now it raises the full height with the truck stationary.