1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Won't go into 4WD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BPK63, Dec 7, 2007.

1. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

92 Chevy WT, started plowing, seemed ok then I noticed I lost traction. While trying to back up my driveway I noticed the front wheels were not turning, just rear spinning. After going through hell and sanding to get back up my driveway, playing with the lever in all positions it went back in while running in my driveway for a while but I couldn't take a chance of it going out again and getting stuck. I heard there is some kind of electronic switch on the tranny? This is 6 cylinder shift lever on the floor. The front wheels definately had traction back up in the driveway after sitting at idle a while while I took the plow off and definately would not work down on the street. Any ideas and most of all how much will this cost me to get fixed. Thanks.
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like you need a new actuator on the front axle, located on the passenger side. Prolly gonna run you 80-100 bucks or so and a half hour of your time.
  3. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

If that's all it is that isn't bad. The fact that it did eventually go in is a semi good sign I think. I couldn't take a chance of getting stuck again as the roads were so icy I almost didn't make it back into the driveway, nearly took out my mailbox by a half inch, watched it go by my window, and almost slid into a car on the street. Suks when the 4wd quits.
  4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Yeah, sounds like it was a close call!!!!:eek: Never any good when the 4x4 quits. Good luck with it!!!:salute:
  5. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like the actuator, my 1989 scottsdale used to eat one every other year.
  6. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

If I remember correct those original activators where vacuum operated and somewhere around then GM came out with an electric replacement. My '94 was done in '96 and it's still working. At the time it was a little over a $100 installed.
  7. jkazuki

jkazuki Junior Member

I Had the same problem, just got fixed

I had what sounds to be similar, ends up it wasn't the actuator but the sensor on the axle cost $158 to replace. Works fine now.

good luck
  8. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Oh ok I had a brain fart.. That was actually kind of funny. A bit droll/dry though:rolleyes:
  9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

haha thats pretty funny...
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The "sensor" your speaking of would be the actuator.
  11. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

you can actully buy one form a ford, last alot longer and i believe is much cheaper at a parts store..only thing ur gonna have to do is switch out the wiring clips...my 96 tahoe would eat those while off it seemed..i was changing them very often..
  12. tinymitymo

tinymitymo Member

What is that engine in your sig????:eek:
  13. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

If your changing the actuator, make sure you update to the newer style like '98, its instant on instead of waiting for the coil to heat and engage, any good GM parts guy can give you the update kit , comes with a small new harness to splice in, you'll never regret it!!
  14. killerrc51

killerrc51 Junior Member
    from mass

15. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

My '90 hasn't gone into 4x4 in months. Can we buy the parts at AutoZone or NAPA or similar? Do you have any links for a site to buy it from?

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can buy the actuators in the aftermarket (NAPA AutoZone)if you just replacing the actuator with the same style, but to upgrade an older truck with the thermo linear actuator to the much faster full electric actuator you need to head to the GM dealer and purchase an additional wiring harness to make it work.

P/n is 12376317 for the harness.

If you want a genuine GM actuator too, the p/n for it is: 26060073
  17. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

skip thatelectric headache

electric this n that = = more problems.GET a aftermarket cable design its like choke cable.push pull on off daa.check your back advertizers in some 4x4 Magazine. just my opinion....electric doors lock you out in the cold without a coathanger.electric windows get stuck in the down position when it 20 degrees,electric seats dont move and icant reach the brakes.electric YUK