1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Won't Angle

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by odd1or2even, Jan 2, 2008.

1. odd1or2even

odd1or2even Senior Member

I've read posts about it, but wasn't sure on my case so I wanted to post before shelling out unneeded money on fixing stuff that I think might be the cause.

I have a E60 on a 8.0 plow MDII mount.

I hooked the plow on the truck, and it lifts, lowers. Then I went all the way to the right and I couldn't angle to the left. The coupler was still under pressure on the right side of the truck, while I was able to freely take off the left. I ended up releasing the pressure by taking off the hose and the quick connect coupler was still difficult to connect/disconnect.

I went to the local parts store, and was told that Meyer has changed the quick couplers about 4 times now, and I picked one up for $45 dollars and I dropped my jaw at the price of it! But I picked one up anyway but haven't used it yet.

I put my other truck with a E57 pump and connected the plow hoses to the problem plow, and was able to move the plow both left and right but I didn't try all the way to the right or left to see if it'd lock out and get stuck. So I tried my moms truck again with the E60 and was able to move the 8 foot plow left and right but once I moved to the extreme left it stuck again. WTF

I tried pressing the right angle button, and giving it help by pushing it, but still couldn't free the plow up from the left lock position. I've had the plow cables connected in a complete circuit and with great stress I could move the angles manually left and right (but as long as I didn't push it to the extreme left or right).

What do I need to fix?
    1) New couplers at 45 dollars each because they are "low spill"? What ever that means..
    2) Wedges to prevent lock out (extreme left and right)?
    3) ?

Any help would be great. We haven't had snow yet (enough to plow) and there isn't any on the forecast for the Philadelphia area so I'll have time to fix the problem...

Thanks
    Steve

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sound's like a classic coupler problem for sure.. I'd replace both sides of the coupler that was hard to disconnect (even when not under pressure)..that's usually a good symptom that the coupler is bad right there.

3. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

replace all couplers at the same time. you can get them alot cheaper at tractor supply.

4. odd1or2even

I replaced one set of couplers and thought that might do it before spending another 45 bucks on the other set.

I tried it (plow is laying upright to save space, and I just connect the couplers rather then attach the whole plow to the truck to make things easier) and the plow will go left and right as it should. However, I then moved the plow (C8 with E60) all the way to the right and it locked out. It locks out on both left and right when fully angled. The kicker though, I can take my other plow truck with the E57 and hook up and "unlock" the plow and go to full left and right without locking it out. I just have problems with my E60 pump. What do you think the problem is?

The kicker though, the E57 pump on the C8 plow makes the angles go full left and full right, but when I raise the up button (with no weight on the plow remember) the blade moves to the left a little. As I pulse the up button again, the blade moves to the left a little again. This does not happen when I do the same to my other EZ Mount snow plow. What gives?

Steve

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Could still be a coupler problem on the pump side of the E60 since you only replaced one set. Which two halves did you replace?

Does your E-60 has a touch pad controller and your E57 have the slick stick or toggle controls? If so, then its totally normal for it to do that. The TP's have a delay in them to hold the B valve open until the motor comes to a stop so it doesn't "twitch" to the left every time you pulse the button.. If they're both TP's then the delay circuit isn't working in the one on your E57.. won't hurt anything though.

6. odd1or2even

I replaced the female side of the E60 pump and the male side of the hose. I had touch pad controllers on both E57 pump and E60 pumps.

I don't have a problem replacing the other coupler but was trying to save some money (45 bucks) for the other set if just replacing the one set would have fixed it.

Any thoughts on the lock out when the C8 plow is fully angled left or right and that the the angles might be too far extended and I need to weld shims to prevent this or?

Steve

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Being that it works fine with your E57 would still lead me to suspect a coupler problem on the E60 first. But it is possible that it is sticking full left AND right due to it traveling over center (usually due to a worn pivot hole in the sector or A-frame nose plate). And it'd also possible that the pump is stronger in your E57 than your E60 which would allow the extra hyrdo force to "unstick it" when connected to the E57.

8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

You have to replace both halfs of the coupler. You change them as a set...Rob