1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wondering why 80% of posts here are about plows not working?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by cornbinder, Dec 9, 2007.

1. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

i look on the myers forum occasionally, and it's almost depressing. it seems to me 80% of the threads are about how their myers plows don't work right for a variety of reasons. what's up with that? i look at the other plow threads and there is a handful of misc. questions about their plow not working, but mostly it's just questions about making up grades, or general questions. i personally know people that have myers plows and they are always breaking down, solenoids sticking, valves sticking. i just landed a big commercial account, cause the guy can't get his plow to work (myers) i just seems to me that a myers plow is in general, poorly engineered, and cheaply built and just not very reliable. my friend had to borrow my truck on the first event cause his motor burnt up on his myers, that's 3 motors he's went threw since the beginning of last snow plow season.i'm sure there's alot of you guys that have better luck with myers equipment, but just wondering what some of you guys have to say? i've been to the local john deere dealer here which is a myers dealer also and i've never seen so many people come threw the front door cussing and yelling and screaming obsenities because their plow took a dump on them in the middle of the night.another thing i noticed in some of my plow parts catalogs, myers plows are the only one that has a trouble shooting guide in the parts catalog. all the stores that carry plow parts carry a whole assortment of myers parts, solenoids, motors, valves of all sorts, but for example the same store would carry, cables, pins,and marker giudes say for a western, and nothing for a boss or blizzard and that's it. 90% of all the parts in stock are for a myers.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2007
  2. PM/FF

PM/FF Junior Member

People generally ask questions when they have a problem. I would venture to think that if everyone posted just because everything was going right, it'd be about even. Remember the general rule. People don't start talking and complaining unless they have a p[roblem or complaint. Read carefully on the other forums. All plows have their problems.

I'll start...everything is fine and everything works great...and has for 2 years straight...and I have a Meyers.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2007
  3. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

Me too, other than a coil a few years back and a couple of dry rotted hoses last year, my Meyer has bee doing great :bluebounc .

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Generally their technology is behind the times, which is not to say they refrain from trying new things; rather, they don't even use tried & true technology. There are more durable products out there

5. Bens95cobra8594

Bens95cobra8594 Junior Member

It just happend to come on my truck. Didn't want to dump $4K on a new plow for the thing (or search for a used one that would fit).

I agree that they feature an archaic design, and could use to be simplified and re-engineered for long-term reliability and ease of repair. But then again, if you really look at them, they are an utterly simplistic design and when you understand how it works, they are beautifully executed. But the inherent consequence in that simplistic design is that one part relies on another and that is where problems manifest themselves and become difficult to trace down. Hence, the trouble-tree in the back of the parts catalog.

If they were really that unreliable, the company would have gone out of business a long time ago. I'm sure there are tons of them out there that have no problems and never have. But this forum is specifically for problems.

It's like walking into a car dealer (no matter which brand) and going to the service department. You are generally going to see irate customers with problems. That's the nature of going to the service department. You never get a good view of all customers of that brand. You only get a cross section of those with problems.

I like my Meyers. I've plowed with Fishers and owned a 2005 2500HD with an 8' Boss. It was a great plow also, but seemed very difficult to work on (but it never had problems).

I guess to each their own. Some of us love our Meyers, but other plow brands may be the way for others to go. If someone realizes that Meyers stuff can be fickle, it will prevent disappointment.

The other reason why so many Meyers parts may be in stock is for the sheer number of plows that are out there. Check eBay. Check local want-ads, and a huge majority of plows are made by Meyers. So if there are 10 million plows out there (just picked an arbitrary number) and 5 million of them are Meyers, and 3 million are Fisher and the remaining brands make up the rest, of course there are going to be more repair parts out there for Meyers.

I still don't really know what the point of the original post was. It's sort of like logging onto a Ford Ranger fan site and then saying "Rangers suck, look at how much you have to repair your trucks." What's the point?

Meyers have their problems, there is no secret. Lets admit that and move on...

6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

people are not goin to start a thread saying,,,,

MY PLOW IS WORKING PERFECT, CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHY???wesport thats why this forum is here so when you have a problem you can fix it

7. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

All we have is Myers, between my plows and 2 of my buddies I know of 8 myers. We have used myers since the early 90's and have never had big problems. Besides a motor here, and coil there nothing big. There is alot of people that say there plows are having tons of ploblems but They dont dsay how they beat on them and never service them. Ect.

O yea my myers must be Junk the cutting edges keep wearing down !!!!!!! And the A-fram bent last winter, it could never have been the big @$$ crub I hit..

8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

9. gixxer1192

gixxer1192 Junior Member

Its like ben said...its the law of averages...

10. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

Meyer plows have been around for a LONG time (since 1926). I'd be willing to guess that there have probably been more Meyers plows on light duty commerical vehicles, than just about any other brand over the years. That's not to say they are any better or worse, just that there are MORE of them out there. 20 years go, Blizzard, Boss, Sno-way, snowman, etc... were practically unheard of. You had a Western, Fisher, or Meyers on most trucks at the time.

When my 29 year old ST90 plow starts acting up, I ask questions. Many of the other brands haven't even been around that long yet.

I'm not knocking the other brands at all. There have been some great improvements in plowing over the years. However, some of us still are running the old plow setups because they still work (at least most of the time)

When your Blizzard, Boss, etc.. plow is 30 years old, you'll ask questions about repairing it too.

11. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

you guys awnsered my questions. good luck lets hope everyone has good winter. pete

12. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

13. sefh

sefh Senior Member

In my experiences with a Meyer setup the problems are due to lack of maintenance. If you take care of your equipment it will take care of you. A fluid change goes a long way.

14. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Meyers is about the easiest set-up to diag/repair out in the field. I had a few

15. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

you've never owned a cable operated western then. wanna talk about simple, it doesn't get any easier than a cable operated western to diagnose and repair. to each their own, kinda like ford,chevy, dodge.

16. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

rodger that

17. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

One of my Meyers is on a 79 Bronco with a homemade mount and original blade. Pump & controls are from an 81. Not bad for a 25+ year old plow.

18. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

19. zappalawn

zappalawn Member
    from pgh

my meyer is workin great the only problem i have had is a connector breaking due to some one not unpluging it after the plow was un mounted.i understood that cause the truck was overheating and were trying to get it off as fast as possible.better a connector than a motor in the truck

20. snowrules

snowrules Junior Member

well im on my second meyer and I just put it through 28 hours of plowing with no problems
    I sold my last one and went bigger