1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wondering what plow truck to get

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by superrman77, Jun 17, 2008.

1. superrman77

superrman77 Junior Member

Well I guess I am going to be getting a bunch of opinions. Kind of like which beer you like best. If you were a newbie what would you get. I am aiming at starting out doing residential. I have a bronco II that I am going to get a plow for. I have a 1999 f-350 7.3 dually 4x4. I use it to go on vacations and pull the boat and camper but I just don't want to put a plow on it. But I want something for commercial accounts that will do a little more than the bronco II. I am aiming at getting something used with a plow already on it.

Thanks for the help. This is a great site.
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I bet you want a late model F250 long box,
    (extra is cab o.k. no quad cabs:nono:) with a 9ft V or straight plow,
    8.6ft minimum. allready to go.
    (as you already own two fords)

A word of caution, do not buy a used plow truck.;) They have been beaten on. Don't let them fool ya.......

Start fresh..

Any thoughts on a spreader?
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have a quad cab and love it for plowing snow. It is a short box tho. I agree with NOT buying a used plow truck. At leat an 81/2 or 9' blade for commercials too. Diesel is too spendy. Find a gas powered 3/4 ton truck and you will be fine. JMO
  4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Just put a western 9' pro plus with the pro plus wings. For a 10' plow. Your dually will be fine.
  5. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

Well you can check out cars.com or autotrader. In my area you can get a 2003 F250 with 43,000 miles on it including an 8 ft fisher plow for $14,950. You got to look around and see what you got in your area. To save money I would put a plow on your 350 and all you got to worry about is buying the plow instead of the truck. If you buy another truck your going to have to pay insurance for it and all that bs
  6. superrman77

Thanks for the help guys. I can't afford a new one right now. And to be honest I just dont want the payment. I am leaning toward a full size bronco. I think it would be great for the tight places. I have a friend and his daughter bought a 1994 F-250 regular cab long box 4x4. It has a 460 engine and a plow on it. It is in decent shape. I don't know how much it was plowed with. She has not used it to plow. They had to put a engine in it when she bought it. I guess I am wondering which one to get. Bronco or F-250.
  7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Get the f250 over the bronco that part is a no brainer...

You wish to plow commercially and the bronco is not the best choice.
    For soooooo many reasons as it is meant to be a passenger vehicel and not a work truck....
  8. superrman77

What would you do

I posted here some lately with some great help. I have still not decided what to do. I do have a business plan together. I have a 1999 F-350 dually crew cab 4x4. I will be doing lawn care in the spring. I will be plowing this winter. I want to start out doing residential. But I don't think the dually will be the best option. I want to keep my truck because I use it for everything. I can get another truck and a plow for about 3 grand. It will not be new but I want to keep my cost down at first. I can upgrade later. It would be nice to have a another truck for my business. A new plow for my dually will be about 4 grand and that is a 9 ft plow. I do have a bronco II that needs a little work that I could get a plow for. But a lot of people say that I will have a hard time pushing with it. What kind of advice would you veteran plowers give a newbie.
  9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

With a 9' plow, the dually will do fine. I plowed with a 3500 for several years. The key is to have good, aggressive snow-rated tires and counter-weight. The down side is that every potential trouble area will get worse - faster. At almost ten years old, any wear in the front end and drive line will be accelerated.

I'd recommend a back up truck/plow.
  10. Mick

from Maine

Well, he's gotten plenty of advice. I didn't know about the earlier threads when I wrote this response. If he's just wanting someone to "ok" the Bronco, I think he'll need a few more threads. I'm sure it's been done - you can push snow with anything, even a lawnmower - but that doesn't make it a good choice.

Bottom line - do what you wanna do.
  11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

lol, Mick,he really wants someone to tell him that using the
    ole bronco II is a good idea.

Sure, Fernalddude does use a couple of bronco II's to plow with.
    He has done a lot of work to them to maintain them.
    He has a "niche market" and he has catered to it.

It works for him.

I would not recommend it.

Sell or scrap the bronco II.....

(I'm just repeating my self not to sure why as he really wants a plow for the bronco II.)

Get a 3/4 ton and two push frame/ cartons. One for the 2500 and one for the 3500 this way your plow can be mounted on ether truck in case of a break down, you will have a back up truck.

It is easer to plow parking lots than it is to plow drives.

Maybe if you reword your question you will get the answer your looking for?....;)

Why do you use a 3500 to pull your trailer?
    Same reason goes for the plow truck.

Right tool for the job?

next Q.
    what make of plow?
    what model?
    what size?
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, I'll do it.

That bronco ll would be the perfect plow "truck"! Nice and small, easy to spin around in those small areas.

(I really just want to see how it holds up and how well it pushes.)
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  13. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i vote for the bronco because sno voted against it. though sno is most probably right and the bronco wont hold up long..
  14. superrman77

I never said that I wanted someone to tell me the bronco was the best choice. I just wanted some opinions. Sorry I made a few threads. I just wanted some feedback on the dually for residential and so on.
  15. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

I understand your dilemma. Trying to get set up the cheapest way possible to start making money. You will kick yourself in the rear later by doing this. Spend a little extra now and it will pay you back in the long run. Doing the Bronco set up will end up nickling and diming you to death. Anything can be done and maybe it will work (and I hope it does), but odds are against it as posted by others. Good luck.
  16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

aaah, More threads don't mean you'll get more responses..;)

Then why bring up the bronco II?:confused:

Yes, many folks do plow residential with a 3500.
    Just don't bid on the tight ones.

O.K. So now you want to plow small, tight drives with limited space...lol
    I still vote;) no bronco II's
    (sell your bronc to fernaldude)

I thought you did not want to plow with the 3500?
    "I have a 1999 f-350 7.3 dually 4x4. I use it to go on vacations and pull the boat and camper but I just don't want to put a plow on it."

"But I want something for commercial accounts that will do a little more than the bronco II."

Sooo, why are we talking about the bronc or the 3500????

I don't recommend buying a plowtruck. They ALL have been beaten, abused over loaded etc etc......
    Your best bet no matter how good of a deal you find on a plowtruck
    is to get a late model 2500 and a new shiny plow.

Next what kind,size and model of plow are you looking at?

Bri, I knew you had my back...xysport
  17. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

find a decent f250 .... put a 8' on it ,,,,now u have a plow that can do drives and commercial accounts... if u try to do coms with the bronco you will be sitting in the cold late one night with 6 " fallin and all you will hear in your head is mick and snofarmer laughin histerically...jmo
  18. superrman77

Thanks Snofarmer for all the tips. :rolleyes: I did not want to use my truck but I think it is a smart option. I can not afford to buy a late model f-250 and have my truck as well. That is why I reconsidered plowing with mine. I do see the point of not buying cheap stuff. I am considering a 9ft boss or western.
  19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

In todays truck market you should be able find a good used late model 2500 or 3500 for less than or equal to the price of a new plow.
    I can understand not wanting to use a nice truck(your tow rig) to plow with.

Iceyman, what? us laugh??:nono:
  20. Mick

from Maine

I know that in some ways, it seems crazy to buy a new truck to plow with. But, that is what I did - brand new '05 Chevy Silverado 2500 and had a new 8' Fisher put on it. A month later, I'm plowing with less than a thousand miles on it. Best decision I could have made. Payments were less than what I'd been spending in tow bills and repairs on the ten year old one ton or the half ton Dodge before that. A whole lot less stressful doing the whole route without something going wrong and it was NICE running around in a new truck.

And trucks are going CHEAP.