1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wondering about a -v- plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by go plow, Nov 16, 2005.

1. go plow

go plow Senior Member

I was just wondering about the -v- plows on the market, ive seen and heard of people that have bent wings , what causes that? and is it common??? thanks

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

IMO the most common cause of torn up plows and bent wings has to be drivers who act like they are in a demolition derby... There are always exceptions (plows poorly welded etc.) and of course people make mistakes, but there is nothing wrong with a v-plow if you treat it reasonably. Mine is a '96 and it is still straight and has moved a lot of snow in its time. I liked it so much I bought an identical one, similar vintage. It is also straight.

Do a search on Boss v-plows in particular, people seem to complain about them the most because they are full-trip which suits me just fine, but the more aggressive drivers really need the quicker-acting trip-edge. There are a lot of posts about this issue.

Some of the discussions even tend to get a bit 'heated' as some of us take our work very personally....

;)

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I love my V-plow.:nod:

4. go plow

go plow Senior Member

thanks for your reply, i also take my job personal..... its what we do, and how we put food on the table!!!! the reason i asked was because i think that a -v- plow would do me well, as my 9ft fisher that i have is a bit large for some driveways that i plow, or i should say plowing with a striaght plow is tricky in most driveways that i plow, but before i spend all that money, i just wanted to know from people who use them all the time and not just hear all the bad point about something, of course a snow plow is not a buldozer, most of my friends think that they are.....once again thank you... good luck to you this winter!!!!!!!!!!

5. ECS

ECS Senior Member

I used a straight blade for 6 years when I worked for someone else. Last year I went solo and got the BOSS V blade and there is nothing like it. We get hit with a lot of drifts, the V goes through them with no problem at all. The are alo nicer, in my opinion, for piling your snow. I have had drifted drives that took two hours with a straight blade, and the same drive with a V would be about 15 min.

6. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

love my fisher v, trying the 810 on my newest ruck but will never go back to a straight blade. I went with fisher because of the trip edge. Boss looks like a good plow too though.

7. Ripple

Ripple Member

Vplow

Once you go V I hear you never go straight again :redbounce

I plow for a living but I take my time and DO NOT abuse my equipment.
    I will not buy any other PLOW EQUIPMENT besides Fisher or Western!
    Fishers are heavy heavy duty and last forever!!!

8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Dont know what your talking about:p jk:)

I much prefer my fisher V and the western V I ran in thier tripping ability. Like the boss's other features like its speed and controller and how far it angles and it is a good built blade but IMO its design is crap IMO. Just think full trip has no buisness in a V. It does seem to work ok for people though but I bet if given the choice even the hard core boss V people would prefer to see boss with a trip edge;) I'd probably run a Boss V over a fisher or western V actually if boss was trip edge. That said I wish I woulda had a blizzard for my type of plowing. Actually was very close to ditching my 9.5' fisher for a blizzard 8611 lo pro

9. jess_29

jess_29 Junior Member

Here's a funny story! Last winter, our most experienced plow guy said he caught a piece of asphalt with the 8ft Fisher V and he actually tore the one wing up the centre! Im sure he was flying through the lot, but what can you do? It ended up costing us $3800 to replace the wing. It couldn't be welded apparently.:rolleyes: