1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wondering about a shorter vehicle to replace 2500HD

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbright, Dec 2, 2013.

1. jbright

jbright Junior Member

I want to replace my 2500HD/ Arctic straight blade plow and am wondering if there is a shorter vehicle/ V plow combination that anyone would recommend. I plow only residential apartment buildings hence I have to do a lot of maneuvering around and in between parked vehicles and tight places. A shorter vehicle is highly desirable. Maybe a K Blazer or Jeep? I think they may be too light though.
    Regards Jim (in Toronto Canada)
  2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Both a Jeep or K-5 Blazer would do the trick. I'd lean more towards the K-5 because they're a heavier vehicle and you can slip a set of 3/4 or 1 ton axles under it which would help in supporting a V. You can also stick a back blade on the K-5 too.

There's a guy on here out of Mass that plows with Jeeps and has Boss V's on them, his name is The Plow Meister. He does a lot of resi's with them and has done a lot to his rigs so they'll hold up.

Try using the search function and you'll find all kinds of opinions.
  3. Leland Lawn

Leland Lawn Member

Theres a company I know of here locally that runs a lot of K-5s and 2500HDs.

They chop their 2500's off at a local welding shop and have custom flatbeds built that are right around 4' long. That could be an option for you. It allows a better turning radius, still is an HD truck, and isn't as worn out and old as most Blazers that you can find.
  4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Skid steer. Short, powerful, turn on a dime, fit between cars, relocate snow easily.
  5. B&K LawnCare

B&K LawnCare Member

Do you have any pictures of these? I think they would be a great plow vehicle.
  6. toolcatking69

toolcatking69 Junior Member

Have you considered a Tool Cat? pros: Great turning radius, all wheel drive, all wheel steer, many plow options, many plow configurations, can accept a back blade

Cons: ground speed of 18mph
  7. Leland Lawn

Leland Lawn Member

Ill see if I can snap a picture of one sometime. Maybe next time he picking up parts or something. :)
    We are kind of competitors now, so I haven't taken a picture of one in the past…
  8. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

K5 Blazer would be perfect but it's been over 20 years since they've been discontinued. If you find one it will be ether rusted out or built for off road use. I'd prefer an 81-87 short box stepside Chevy over the K5, better visibility with a regular cab, maybe easier to find in good shape than a K5 but still most likely body wise it will be hard to find one that doesn't have rust issues.

But if your willing to drive down to the southern US, you should find what you want.

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

Jeep wrangler for sure. We used to run one with a 6'6" snow way and it was a beast.
  10. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

My vote is for a K5... just saying...
  11. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

It does not change the turning radius. The steering arms on the spindle are not changed and the wheel base is not changed.

The only thing putting a 4' bed and shortening the frame does is make it easier to back up in tight spaces.

And easier to parallel park.
  12. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I've always had a dream to take a early/mid 90s short bed Chevy regular cab, 5 speed with the 350 motor and throw a 3/4 ton suspension under it. That to me would be an awesome plow truck
  13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A four foot bed wouldn't cover half of the rear tires. So I presume the wheelbase is indeed shortened. Which would most certainly reduce stuttering radius. Without altering the frontend.
  14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Lot's of them here, but be prepared for sticker shock.
  15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Saw this yesterday, 96 Bronco XLT, fresh crate motor, 140K, new BFG AT/KO's, very clean interior, original paint with next to no rust ( quarter paint bubbling in 3 places) $4750.00

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Plowing with a TTB? Buy stock in your favorite tire company lol
  17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Uh no, stick a Dana 44 out of 76-79 F-150 or 78-79 Bronco under it, it's a very easy conversion and these diff's are easy to come by and cheap.
  18. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Didn't know those would swap in. Makes the broncos more interesting. We've done a few Dana 60 swaps in the 250s.
  19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Actually put the 9" in the back at the same time, the swap really makes these lil truck's much better.
    In the front gut out everything and swap out radius rods, it's a much cleaner end product.