1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Woman workers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnkale, Oct 1, 2014.

1. lawnkale

lawnkale Senior Member
    from Indiana

so here is an honest question...How many out there employe woman to run payloader's/plow trucks. Always looking for good help and have a few woman asking to work

2. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Honestly if they can do the job, I wouldn't care. Plus they tend to be more responsible than guys. I think one guy here has his wife run a truck.

3. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Paul(Neige) employs a few women operators I know.

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

It all depends on the person and how you use them. Just keep in mind you need to be cautious when talking with them and when they're with in hearing distance. If they wanted to mess with you by pulling the chick card you can find yourself in a bad place with the states labor commission.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My sister and mom plowed for years and they were just as or more productive then any man.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Why would it matter?

I had one who picked it up faster and could out plow most men within a couple weeks.

Had another who couldn't get squat done in a reasonable time.

Just like male employees.

7. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Could not of said it better myself . Thumbs Up

8. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Short hair......don't care.

9. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

I know a woman here who runs her own rig. When the school is closed she just puts the kids in the truck with her. I think the oldest even runs the shovel.

10. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Mike has a woman working with us that is fantastic. She's run everything from a shovel to muni / hwy rigs! She's been doing it a long time. Worked with her for one season and picked up a couple time saving tips because of it.

Male / Female / Animal / Vegetable / Mineral.......if it moves snow quickly, safely and shows up, make the hire!

11. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

She must be one of those lowballers everyone on here is always talking about! Using child labor to shovel walks!

12. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I had my daughter running a truck, she was better than the guys, and much more dependable. The only thing she asked, was for a hat that said "plow chick".

13. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

I don't think its child labor. I got my first "job" at ten. I think this kid is 14 or 15. Old enough to learn that hard work for yourself and your family is the way to get ahead imho.

I also don't think she is a "lowballer" price wise. Her rig is newer and well maintained. Her sites are competently maintained. I have a couple drives on either side of one of hers and have witnessed cautious yet thorough and efficient and skilled servicing.

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I started to use my kids for labor when they were 12yrs old, this is why you have them and it builds strong work ethic.

15. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

16. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

kind of figured that, sorry

17. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

My boss has a female that works for him. She runs a plow truck and sander, she also picks up slack if she needs to and shovels or runs a loader. She is a part time mechanic so she helps out in the shop as well. She is great at plowing and operating machines if needed.

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

My dad forced me to start when I was 8. lol

It was good for me.

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

So did mine, guess I'm not as rigid as he........ Kids need to use their own money to buy guns and ammo.......:gunsfiring:

20. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

I had a woman super a couple years ago, she would out work most guys