1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wold chip cause trans problem?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ctd992500, Dec 17, 2007.

1. ctd992500

ctd992500 Senior Member

Hi I'm new to the site joined alitle while ago. I have a 99 dodge 2500 with CTD. I love this truck I don't have any pics of it yet. But will get some soon. I had the diablo power puck on my truck since i bought the truck. I bought back in early august but few weeks ago it started having trans problems. When took it to the dealer first time they said it just needed a comp flash. Got it back Trans started acting up just like the first time I get up around 40-45 miles a hour it seemed like it was going in a false neutral. Called dealer they brought it back in, this time they said it was the power puck! They said the also changed the filter and fluid. But since I got it back it's been running fine no trans problems, do you guys think it could have been the puck or just the trans filter was clogged up? Any info would be great. :) Thanks in advance Will.

2. payton

payton Senior Member

could have been a lil of both. most chips/boxs have a relearn procedure(Sp) for the tranny.. its really hard to tell. throw the puck back in it and see if it does it again. if it does you got your answer.

payton

3. TEX

TEX Senior Member

does the puck have diff settings? if wo what are you running on? the dodge trannys cant handle much more then stock at all. when you start adding power thats the first thing to go.

4. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

if its a 99 with a CTD and an auto tranny then its your own fault for not having it serviced in the first place.... the dodge tranny in these trucks has a bit of a bad rap.....

dont get me wrong, they have their fair share of problems but maintenance solves most of them.....big HP #'s will kill them but a powerpuck, or a hypertech, or a ppe, generally wont....

I have mine chipped and push snow...tow heavy, pull stumps, and drive it like its stolen....

but I also take it in every year and have the tranny serviced...not just a flush, fill, & filter....also make sure that they go in and readjust the clutch bands....most shops and dealerships do not do this unless instructed to....& they will charge extra for it....its worth it. when you get it back you will swear it's a different truck....

The Dodge tranny still has non self adjusting clutches.....till 03 anyway...

go ahead and run the Diablo....if I had to take the chip off of mine, I would get rid of it.

Good luck

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

The 48RE still had manually serviceable bands. Chances are that is not enough. A good torque converter and valve body would be a mandatory upgrade at very least. Although at this point, it may be too late for that to be of much help.

http://www.goerend.com/

6. ctd992500

ctd992500 Senior Member

Thanks for the help!

Thanks guys for all the comments. This is my first disel truck I've purchased. And when i bought the truck it was already under the hood and i really don't know much about it. I just got in august. But I really don't trust many places where I'm at to service vehicles because they are always trying to rip soliders off. Right now I'm stationed at FT. CAMPBELL KY. And even the dealers around here try to rip people off. I called Dodge's 800 number the one time to complain they told each dealer can do what they want. Any one know any truth to this?

7. TEX

TEX Senior Member

sure thing if you have any other ?'s just shoot a PM