1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wobble

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by iowaplowboy, Oct 3, 2008.

1. iowaplowboy

iowaplowboy Member
    from Iowa

Too much play in an old ST-90. Rides fine on the ground, rebuilt pump, new cutting edge. But when it's in the air, I can press one end down and the other end goes up, couple inches probably. Pivoting side to side on the sector. I suppose some "flex" is good, but this seems excessive. Is there a "part" I can put in, or do I need a torch and a welder?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep.

Some play is normal but too much means the sector pivot hole, nose plate pivot hole on the A-frame, or the pivot bolt itself is worn out.

One other possibility is that the pivot bolt is simply loose...but when they're loose, they're usually worn out...necessitating the torch and welder.

3. iowaplowboy

iowaplowboy Member
    from Iowa

Nice

Thanks, that's what I thought. How much space should I have between the sector and the iron on the A-frame where the chain mounts above the sector? Don't want it to "drag", but I think I can move or shim that down to close it up a bit.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The less the better, as it's takes a great deal of stress off the nose plate, pivot bolt, and sector holes. I set them as snug as practical. 1/8" is enough clearance.

5. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Another Sector Question

I have a CP-8 plow. I don't know what model it is as it doesn't look like any on the Meyer's web site. It's about a 1993.

At the end of last year I noticed that the blade rocked up and down quite a bit . I took it to a guy that plows and repairs just about anything. He said it was way too loose and that the pivot bolt was tight. He ended up putting a shim under the Nose Plate that covers the Sector and welded it in place. That tightened it up and was fine. This year when I first hooked it up it wouldn't move to the right and had to bump up to a tree with the right side of the plow while pushing the button and it moved and worked fine after that. While flushing the pump and cylinders I couldn't get the moldboard to move to the left or right by hand to bleed the cylinders. I had Fluid Filimed that heck out of the Sector and it still wouldn't let me push it side to side, although when I hooked it back up, the pump didn't have a problem moving it. So my question is, is that Nose Plate so tight that it might cause some damage? Also do you think that it will wear in enough with use?
    I appreciate any help you can give me.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I doubt the pivot is too tight. When it wouldn't angle to the right initially it was probably due to a sticky C valve or stuck quick couple or something along those lines from lack of use...very common thing actually.

Many plows out there that can't be angled by hand, as the packings in the angle cylinders can be pretty tight on some of them, thus not allowing them to be easily angled by hand...compounded with a fresh tightening of the pivot/nose plate holes. It'll likely loosen up some with use anyway so don't be concerned with it.

7. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

I had a C-8 plow and it would not angle one way. The dealer showed me a tech sheet from Meyer where they had a problem. The fix was to weld a 3/8 or 1/2 inch piece of steel to the angle stops so to limit the angle of the blade.

Steve