1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hfdresq1, Jan 11, 2002.

1. hfdresq1

hfdresq1 Junior Member

i have a 1985 chevy k30 pickup truck. this morning on my way to work i hit a pothole and the truck started to wobble quite a bit. kind of like when your tires are out of alignment at 55 mph only 5x worse. i applied the brakes and the wobble stopped. when i got to work, i checked the truck and found nothing broken. on the way home i hit another pothole and the same thing happened again. once again i applied the brakes and the problem subsided. i can find nothing wrong mechanically as far as the suspension goes and am at a loss for what it might be. the only thing i can think of is maybe i bent one of the rims. any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The steering stabilizer is likely bad,Ive had this happen before on our old Dodge w300,also check the ball joints,and tie rods.
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I second the steering stabilizer as the problem. I have changed a few on my older K style trucks(pre IFS).
    Exact discreption that you gave. 10 min and under a 30.00 fix.
    But like John said, check the tie rod ends, only the drivers side is replaceable, the pass side is manufactured into the long cross over rod. I dont believe the K-30 has ball joints though. Some sort of modified king pin arrangement for lack of a better discreption.
  4. mowahman

mowahman Junior Member

jack up the front of the truck, one side at a time, grab the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock position, push/pull and see if the ball joint/jr. king pin is worn out. My '74 and '87 have done this in the past, usually in the Spring after plowing all winter. Now, we just install new ball joints in the Fall and are all set for Winter. Kinda scary when it happens, but this seemed to cure it for me.
  5. RTallday

RTallday Member

I am also in favor of the steering stabalizer being bad, because the same thing happened to me when i HAD my 1979 K-20. When they go bad, the front end will vibrate sometimes, like when you are going over rough terrain. Thats most likley the problem, and fairly cheep to fix. You dont have to get a rancho stabalizer either, just go to your local NAPA and get a Monroe. Good Luck, and do it soon, cause its only gonna get worse!!

6. RTallday

RTallday Member

Funny thing

I think its funny that I'm here trying to give some helpful advice about steering stabalizers because i was under my Dodge today, (sorry guys), and i noticed that mine is leaking. HAHA.