1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WJ on PLow Duty. Any others?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by wj4play, Dec 1, 2010.

1. wj4play

wj4play Member

I mounted my western 7'6'' 3 or 4 years ago on my 99 Grand, Still running strong. Any other Grands out for plow duty. I use this for commercial and residential, 2" lift with front/rear air shocks. was 265/75/16 tires now im running 285/75/16 revos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wify was taking it to the store lol
    [​IMG]

2. wj4play

wj4play Member

few more
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I've always wanted to and might get around to it one of these days. What mount did you start with?

4. wj4play

wj4play Member

I have a western unimount off my 80 Chevy 3/4ton then I built a steel frame that I welded to the unibody of the jeep. I then welded the unimount to that. I also installed air shocks front and rear. Gabriel hijackers because the add an addition 1100# lift weight. the stock springs are very soft.

Front air shocks cross referenced to a 90's something ford taurus and then the back ones I used for a 1/2ton chevy truck. they work great but are very stiff during the summer.

Stock Dana 30/35 3.73:1 gears and 285/75/16 tires. The Jeep in the pictures have 265/75/16 tires on them.

I would Highly recommend a Tranny cooler and be sure you get the mechanical fan in conjunction with the factory electric fan. I have the towing package, but you can still install the mechanical fan if you don't have it on the water pump.

Stacking Snow
    [​IMG]

Bent Ram Pin
    [​IMG]

5. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I'm familiar with setting up trucks and Jeeps, but haven't looked into custom mounting a Unimount on one yet. That might be a project sometime soon. I had a TJ and have an XJ now (as far as Jeeps go, lots of other trucks over the years), both with Unimounts and air shocks and actually just installed a tranny cooler on the XJ the other night. I'd be interested in more pictures of the mount/body interface if you have them.

There's my old ZJ. I'd buy it back and mess with mounting a plow on it if I could:

[​IMG]
    IMG_4399 by affekonig2000, on Flickr

6. wj4play

wj4play Member

I will see what I can find, I mostly welded a Steel frame to the unibody and then welded the unimount to that. I am making a new mount that will have rubber bushings to absorb the vibrations. Also provide a easy way to remove it for summer.

See if I can take some pics

7. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

What motor and transfer case does your Jeep have?

MLG

8. wj4play

wj4play Member

I have the 4.0 I6 42re transmission and a 242 transfer case.

Original Transmission and transfercase on my second motor, 175,000 on the dial