1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

With the knowledge that you have now, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kends, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Kends

Kends Junior Member

With the knowledge that you have now, what would you buy for your first plow? That's all I want to know, what brand/type of plow? I have residential and commercial accounts lined up. So, it's important that I get a plow that can do both.

Getting into plowing this year.
    Live South of Chicago, near Joliet.
    I have a new 2000 Ford F250hd manual 5 speed.

Looked into the Hinniker 'C' plow. Read all the bad press and won't be getting one of them.

It's kind of like...what you would have done in High School if you knew what you know now:D
  2. Kends

Kends Junior Member

Mick, (I know your not logged in)

Just wanted to say that I'm hitting the hay.

Didn't want to get called a "one post wonder" again.

Take care.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Kends - hi. When you posted it was after 1:00am here. Glad to see you're back on. My recommendation would be a Fisher plow - but that's cause I have two Fishers plus a Fisher v-box. The more moving parts - the more there is to break down. The thicker the metal (guage), the longer it'll last and more pounding it can take.
  4. Taconic

Taconic PlowSite.com Veteran

I would buy a v-plow over any straight plow as they can really save you alot of time and money .Besides the brand which i feel the majority of them are excellent,You should really consider what brands are sold near you and check out the dealer.Personally to me it makes the brand decision easier and narrows the choices as to which plows are sold close to you.Like the other comment was made" alot of moving parts ",thats right and when they go down you should have a dealer who can help you out with service.
    John Parker
    Taconic Maintenance

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I have to echo John on this one, dealer support is the number one consideration when buying a plow, especialy a v-plow. I chose Fisher for that reason (even though thier support is not what it should be in my opinion) and because of past experience with that brand.
  6. ddm

ddm Member

I have to agree with everyone else here on dealer support.
    Any plow brand is no good when its 3 am and a motor goes out; not to many parts stores open. So parts availability and dealer servicing has to be # 1 for me. You didn't mention any $$ amount you want to spend. In equipment I find its usually far better in the long run to spend a little more for quality & durability than to get the cheapest thing I can find. But if you can't go all out financially, as I couldn't when I got started, try to get the best you can for your buck and plan on upgradeing to something better next season after you've made a little with it or are able to get more accounts.
  7. Kends

Kends Junior Member

Thanks guys. I think there's a Fisher dealer near by. I'm going to check him out.

And as far as the $$$, I learned that lesson one too many times. You get what you paid for.

Thanks again!
  8. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Boss, Western, Fisher.... whatever the best dealer in my market handled.

Dealer first.... brand second.