1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

With all due respect...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sbt1, Jan 30, 2005.

1. sbt1

sbt1 Member

It's MEYER - not Meyers, not Myers, etc. etc. There are two "E"s, and NO "S"s !!!

Would you spell Smith with a "K"? Or Jones with an "R"?

Why then do otherwise intelligent people append letters to words, when they don't exist? Or leave out necessary letters? Maybe that 1-1/2 foot long block lettering isn't large enough for some people to read.

Think how you'd feel going thru life with half the people you meet mispronouncing your name. Would you like that, Georges? Mr. Jone? Ms. Peter?

Sorry - after 40+ years, I just had to get that out.

Great site, BTW. And no I don't have a Meyer plow, Fisher is my choice.
  2. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Maybe with all the problem people have with Meyer, they want to pretend they have some thing else :p
  3. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Nice 1st post, that should help you get alot of friends.

In reviewing your post, after the word Sorry, I believe that there should be a comma not a dash. I also believe, if my memory serves me correct, that you don't begin a sentence with the word and.

"When they don't exist? Or leave out"

"When they don't exist?, Or leave out"

Maybe before you get too nitpickey, you might want to critique your own posts, as " otherwise intelligent people" do.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  4. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Pardon the mispelling of exist.
  5. Hawkc01

Hawkc01 Member

SBT1, get a grip buddy. I know it has been a long winter for you with all that snow that you may have received, but if you are a frequent visitor to various forums you should know better than to go crazy on spelling and sentence structure. Forums are temples of grammerical errors. Take it easy and welcome.

Shout out to Ohio! rama-lama-ding-dong. one of the best fricken early rock-&-roll songs ever. Name the group and win a beer. name it without doing a search. :D
  6. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 Member

Don't you have anything better to do?
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

POINT! did you make any mistakes spelling too?? not to throw any stones. :nono:
    RElax, and yes, almost every one I've met has mispronounced my last name too, you can't stress over it. you can't let a little thing like that fester or you'll just die young.... :angel:
    yes some times I to get in to a debate with a member I might not agree with.
    I try not to be offensive but some times when i look back on a post, it reads a little offensive. There is nothing wrong with a healthy debate and if i've offended anyone i apologize. I'm usually taken to seriously :jester: when i'm just throwing in a little sarcastic humor :drinkup:
  8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Dude get a grip. We are not english majors here. Just a bunch of plow guys. This will really get you all flustered:

"I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt."
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

you slohud psot lkie taht all the tmie!!! taht wluod hvae dervin my elngsih tahecetr ntus!!
    it would be easer to type like that if i could spell in the first pclae. :cry:
  10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

People have a hard time saying Farmer?

Must be the pierced tongue crowd.
  11. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

Just to be a smart ass. It WOULD be Meyers if there were more than one.
    Such as: "I have 2 Meyers plows". This is no different than saying I have two Westerns, two Blizzards, or two Fishers.

Could'nt resist. :)

12. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Why should I be the only smart ass not joining in.

It should be " I have two western plows"
    not I have two westerns.

I have three Meyer plows.

That being said. Whe all can go back to our afternoon grammar lesson which I know we all have on the weekends. Gotta get ready for the test on Monday.

Does anybody really give a flying focker on a galloping donkey???
  13. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Man!!! Am I ever glad I didn't get involved in THIS one!! :nono:
  14. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Pet Peeve

I don't like it when intelligent people blast other intelligent people for appending letters. then that person turns right around and shortens a word for ease of typing. (ie: Thru = through)

15. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

BUT would you say I have 2 Westerns Plows the too many SSSSSS :D

I have 2 Meyers not I have 2 Mayers plows

Do you think the a in the last Meyer will add to the controversy of this Silly post.
  16. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

LMAO.Thanks I needed this today. Yep I understood what you were saying.
  17. MSC

MSC Member

Is that kind of like when people call a Cummins a Cummings??

Thanks, I needed to laugh today :jester:
  18. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My name is Mick Smith. Do you have any idea how many times people have asked me to spell my last name or just spelled it Smyth? Or how many times I've been called Rick? I really can't let it bother me, they're just doing what they know. They know Rick; probably never heard of a Mick. Smyth is pretty common, especially in England. And that's my name I can't get excited about. I really can't get upset over mispronouncing or misspelling an object (like a plow). To top it off, my middle name is John. I once had to shown a girl my ID, cause she simply didn't believe it.
  19. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i smell a troll, and on his first post, must be a new record. :)
  20. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I see what he is saying, people often say "Its an F-250 with 8' MYERS"( or MEYERS). When it should actually say "Its an F-250 with an 8' MEYER". I don't know, I guess people can't read big logos coming at them when they are driving down the road. Another thing that drives me nuts is when people spell FISHER "FISCHER" what are they thinking, they can't see the logo on the back of their plow staring them in the face when they are carrying the plow. ASnother thing is, I talked to a guy via phone because i was going to buy a plow that he advertised in the paper I asked him what brand it was he said "I don't know". So i go to look at it and all the logos are still on it, very noticeable. He never saw them when he went to hook up his plow? Never saw them on the back of the plow while driving? I don't know, some people are just stupid. Its not about forum spelling mistakes, they don't mean a thing as long as the post can be deciphered (some peoples can't). The issue is people not noticing something that is constantly staring them in the face. :rolleyes: