1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"with A Grain Of Salt"

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by UNISCAPE, Dec 3, 2001.

1. UNISCAPE

UNISCAPE Member

HAS ANYONE USED THIS COMPANY FOR BULK SALT?
    THEY ARE $13.00 - $18.00 CHEAPER DELIVERED THAN ANY OTHER
    LOCAL DELIVERY COMPANY. I SEE THAT CHUCK RECOMMENDS THEM BUT DO THEY DELIVER A RELIABLE PRODUCT? FOR EXAMPLE....DRY SALT....NOT WET SO WHEN IT GETS COLD OUT..IT WON'T FREEZE.....

THANKS

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

For what it's worth, I doubt that salt "freezes" until it is disolved into a very dilute solution. It will clump from moisture, the result of the surface of the crystals dissolving and then bonding together as it drys. This happens at low temperatures because cold air holds less moisture and will pull water out of a salt pile that is damp, causing it to crust up.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Aspen and soilmover from this forum both got deliveries in the past two weeks. Maybe they can tell you more about the quality of the product. I didn't hear any complaints. Personally I just think the price was great, and would have bought from them, but got an even better rate.

As far as With a Grain of Salt (WGS), I spoke to someone there, and they paid for all their salt over the summer. That is why it's so cheap. That is also why they can't extend credit too often.

Uniscape, sounds like you got the same price quote the rest of us got. Funny too, JR Haftek is delivering for WGS, but they also sell salt, at a higher rate than WGS. Oh, and Magic Salt is here. There's a dealer in NJ now for bagged and bulk.

~Chuck

4. soilmover

soilmover Member

We ordered 125 tons . They delivered in two days. Better salt then last year and dry.If you are near nj/ bergen county e-mail me and i can tell you where our piles are. Go look at it.

5. G.Williams

G.Williams Member

I tried to place an order with them and they said they will not ship down to my county! I am about an hours south of middlesex county and they said No. Anypne know of any other bulk salt suppliers that will ship to southern NJ?

6. UNISCAPE

UNISCAPE Member

ALAN....FYI...WE HAVE HAD PILE OF SALT OUT OF PORT NEWARK THAT HAVE BEEN VERY DAMP AND FROZE SOLID TO A POINT WHERE A LOADER DROVE ON IT AND DIDN'T BREAK UP ..ITS NOT JUST "CLUMPING"

7. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

You miss the point completely, yes, salt will get wet and harden into a solid mass, but that is not freezing. Get it wet enough and then dry it out and you will have one solid block, but there is no way the water in a pile of salt is going to freeze, as in liquid water turned to ice. If that is possible, somebody please enlighten me.

8. UNISCAPE

UNISCAPE Member

OK ALAN.........YOU WIN

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

With enough dillution it could be done I suppose. SO if the moisture content of the salt pile is about 90% or greater it could freeze, of corse by then it would be a liquid running into the ocean, or local rivers.
    Salt by its very nature cannot freeze, it was serious clumping you were seeeing. Take that clumps salt and put it in water and it will dissolve into salt water. Now take and evaporate the water out, and you will be left with just plain salt.
    If salt freezes in contact with moisture, I guess we wouldnt use it as a ice melter now would we.
    Dino