1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

witch carb to buy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mud_man93, Apr 10, 2002.

1. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

can any one recomend a carb and intake setup for my 85 gmc c1500

thanks doug

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Well, I'd stay away from a "witch" carb to begin with - not too sure about messin' with that witchcraft stuff! ;)

Seriously, to properly answer your question some more info really is required: your driving habits and how you use your truck is important, also what's more important to you - performance or fuel economy? Further to that, what type of performance - top end (speed and high rpm's) or low end - towing.

There's also the most important info of all - which engine do you have in there?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2002
  3. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

What engine is it for, what do you want it to do? Cruiser, drag racing, off roading............ give me a little more info.

Marcus

4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

"Witch" ever one you choose it may come back to haunt you.

Like I said below,,,,,,,,

5. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

the main use for the truck is to drive in the summer and to show off (burn the tires) not to woried about going fast. and im not to woried about the mpg the mortor that is in the truck is a 305 next winter i hope to put in a creat engine or fix up the one that is in it now. also if any one could let me know what is a good auto trany with over drive to put in i would appreciate (i had to look that one up ) it.

im sorry if my spelling and grammer is not that good i have dislecita (not in the dictionary) or smothing like that it is very for me to read and write i will try to spell the words right.

6. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Don't worry about it mud man, we're all here to help. As for the carb, if you want ease of setup, and good performance on the street, I would have to say that I am happy with my edelbrock performer series (except when it gets on an incline!). I put an electric choke on mine, and it works good in all temperatures after it's been sitting. The carbs do take more fine tuning (in my opinion) when the seasons change than my quadrajet ever did to keep the idle mixture correct, and motor idling smoothly. If you're looking for an overdrive automatic, then check out www.bowtieoverdrives.com They have great customer service and will make sure you get the transmission set up right. I haven't bought mine from there yet, but it will happen soon. I've still just been driving around the new silverado instead. Makes it hard to spend big money on the old truck when I don't NEED it right now........ Soon though. And pictures will be coming with it. Hope that helps.

Marcus

7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd suggest not doing anything until you've made a decision on whether you will rebuild your existing engine or go the replacement crate engine route.

Edelbrock's Performer series is a good choice as Marcus mentions, I have a Performer intake on my 350 although I'm running the stock (older style - non-electric choke) Q-jet.

Regarding the spelling and grammar, I believe the word you are referring to is "dyslexia". Not sure if you're aware of it, but the "Preview reply" button will put your post up the way it will appear in finished form right above the text box where you type your reply. It's a handy tool for proof-reading before hitting "Submit reply". :)

Then, once your post is actually on the forum you have a short time in which you can edit it if any typos slipped past the proof-reading. (It happens - at least it has to me more than once! ;) )

8. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

i need to change the carb so that i can start dirving the truck to get to work. the mortor is pertty worn out 236000 miles but it does not burn any oil. wether i put in a creat engin or i rebuild it will depend on how much money i make this summer is the preformer carb is to use i would like smothing that does not take alot of ajustment. or would it be cheaper to rebuild the carb that is in it now.

9. johngus

johngus Senior Member

Stick with a quadrajet.It's simple,reliable,and is easy to fix.I'd also stay with the cast iron manifold on a stock motor.If you start playing with performance parts on that engine with 200+ miles its gonna be junk quick.i've heard good things about the edelbrocks but make sure you have good filter as dirt will cause problems very quickly on them,they're very sensitive.