1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wish i was a weather forecaster

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DIESELRAM30, Feb 28, 2003.

DIESELRAM30 Member

Being a weatherman is definitely the only job you can be completely wrong at and still have a job the next day, up here in northern nj they said 2 to 4 inches and guess what not even one flake this winter has been like one big tease, almost every storm has missed us to the south, am i glad i spent 3300 on a new plow this year, maybe i'll apply at nbc for a weatherman position at least i'll get paid wether is snows or not, or wether i am right or wrong:realmad:
  2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

thats funny, i always say the same thing about meteorologists.
  3. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Yea i totally agree, but it was acctually very funny this morning. I woke up to the sound of a plow and thought Oh Boy ! SNOW! but it was the lady across the street had someone come and plow a part of her sidewalk that wasn't shoveled. Big disapointment today. Not one single flake nothing, and now its like 40 degrees out.
  4. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

I got another idea for you to consider;

All weather forecasters in a given area, if snow is forecasted and no snow, then all snow plowers will be paid $1,000.00 by each forecaster that missed the forecast. BTW: If you own more than 1 truck, just multiply the $1,000.00 by the number of pieces of equipment you own.

Same goes for summer with rain for those who are in the grass business.

I bet there will be far less incorrect forecasts all across the U.S.

And the reward to the forecasters for missing the forecasts will be they get to keep their jobs and do it all over again!!!

payup payup payup
  5. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

wont be long ...

until the weatherman protectors answer this thread with their lame excuses ..... I can hear there predictable answers now well at least their answers are predictable
  6. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

I am sure we will here from them, I already know that the forecasts can pinpoint where snow and rain will fall. I saw this time and time again while on active duty with the U.S. Marines, so if they try to use that excuse it won't hold water with me.

7. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I just recently started visiting Accuweather.com. If you've never looked there you need to give it a look. Since I've been checking it I can't say they're a whole lot more accurate than anyone else, but there's something different there.

Among all the other features they have streaming video, and in particular, and item called "Point-Counterpoint". Two meteorologists sit and discuss the forecast, and as the name implies, argue about it. The one I just watched had something you'll never see on TV, much less from the NWS. The guy was explaining why he had been *wrong* about the recent storm. The other guy was just digging at him and obviously enjoying seeing him squirm too. I complained on another thread a while back that *just once* it would be nice to see them admit to being wrong.

Watch these guys a couple of times and it becomes clear that, for as much science as is involved in it, weather forecasting is still an art. It frustrates the heck out of us when they blow a forecast, but it's really refreshing to see that when they blow it they're frustrated too.
  8. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Yea i know what you mean, I was expecting 6-10, and than they down graded it to 4-8, and a few hours before the storm they were saying 3-6. Guess what, we had all of 1.5".:realmad:

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Digger your referring to Joe Bastardi and Ken Reeves on accuweather.com. I have been watching Joe since early October and I have been very impressed with his professionalism and accuracy. He often times will predict an event ten to twelve days out, but he will not predict actual snowfall amounts or the exact track of a storm at that time but he is fairly accurate with the location of things. He predicted the blizzard as far out as ten days before the storm and though his amounts where low, he let it be known that the northeast should be on the look out for a major storm later next week. He is BY FAR the most accurate long term forecaster I have seen and as you saw today when he bust's a forecast he really does care and it bothers him. Thats something most forecaster's try to not mention at all. He often writes in his column that "this how I feed and clothe my family so I want to be right every time!" While he is not the only forecaster I check out when a storm comes up he is the only one talking about it a week before it gets here.
  10. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Yeah. Bastardi's impressive. You can tell by watching him that he has kind of a four-dimensional grasp of the atmosphere and what it's going to do, but at the same time you get the feeling that he's still trying to learn something from his mistakes, just like us, and that he'll do his darndest not to be tricked by the next system. The rest of the professional organizations seem to hold to a standard of , "never look back".