1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wish I Had Down Pressure

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Daner, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Last week ,We had freezing rain mixed In with snow...and Its stuck to alot of my long paved driveways. Sometimes the cutting edge will catch and brake through...Or It will ride on top. I know the skid steer will cut through...But It will be time consuming . I sure wish my Western V had down pressure like the snoways do.
    Any one else running into , Or have run Into this problem??
  2. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Solution: Snowman Snowplow Pull Plow. 1450 lbs of down pressure, easy on and off. Great for residential and great for picking up your trails.

Just my opinion.
  3. BobC

BobC Senior Member

One word. Salt!
  4. Daner

Bob...I don't like laying down salt on residential drives...Plus I don't have a spreader
  5. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Nope I don't have that problem wesport sorry to rub it in.
    well on a residential if ya need to spread salt you can go to Lowes or whatever you have for home improvement store up there, and they should have in the lawn/garden section, a Scotts brand handheld spreader for around $10 USD. Can't really use rock salt in it, but you can use like a granular de-icer product and it works really well. I use mine on sidewalks... its meant for fertilizer but works well with de-icers too. Best part is its pretty much all plastic so it won't rust out right away...
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Oh My God the plow would be tripping ALL THE TIME with down pressure on ice. It will trip the plow violently or stop the truck like hitting a Wall. Been there, did that,was no fun.
    No plow's (except a Bulldoser) is going to be a magic wand to make ice disappear.
    Like he said SALT / De-icer's are the solution.
  7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think snoway's downpressure would have solved the problem completely. Sometimes that ice isn't coming up unless you chip at it or use a real machine (skidsteer, backhoe). Salting would help loosen it up.
  8. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

Whats up with that font size....
  9. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

salt, salt, salt
  10. Daner

Salt...I'm sure would do the trick ...But I Don't want the salt on the lawns...Most of the country driveways I do are very long...and some have some high end landscaping near the driveways...But mayybe a little bit would be ok.

Pull plows are ok ,ButI don't like the extra length added to the truck...Its hard enough to turn around on some propertys.

I thought with having some down pressure It would be better backdraging as well.

Glad to here you guys on the south side of the big ponds got some snow yesterday.:drinkup: Cheers