1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Baseball1, May 22, 2011.

1. Baseball1

Baseball1 Junior Member

Hello, I have a 2000 f250 sd, 5.4L I have losted the left turn signal at my trailer plugin. The truck works, but not any trailers. I took it in and the genius said it was a corroded wire. I replaced the wires at the plugin, from the factory plug to the plugin, and put a new receptacle on and that wasnt it. I have followed the wire, it's the yellow one, all the way up under the hood and then i don't know from there. I've used a test light all the way. I found a frame ground at the back of the truck and redid that, cleaned it up, did nothing for my problem. Can anyone help? Thanks
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Hows the ground on the trailer?
  3. Baseball1

Baseball1 Junior Member

the trailer grounds are good. doesn't matter what trailer i hook up. I have put a test light on all the connections at the plug in and the left turn is the only one that won't work.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What does a test light do when you put it on the prongs?

Sorry, re read your post ,what does the the test light do when you check the wires just before they go into the plug?

One like this?
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

if the blinker works on the truck its goota be a bad wire from where the trailer plug connector taps into the wiring harness to the trailer plug.
  6. Baseball1

Baseball1 Junior Member

Yes it is that same type plug as in the pic. the test light will glow on every wire, not the ground, that i test. From the plug to the wires coming into the factory connector. All except the left turn.
    Sno commander, I will continue to try the wires in and out of all the harnesses
    Thanks, I'll continue to try things and keep checking this and responding
  7. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

Don't know if your 2000 is the same as my 1999 F450 or not. The 450 has a fuse box under the hood that houses the fuses for the trailer wiring. Check the turn signal fuses there if you have them.
  8. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Start at the beginning using a test light or a volt meter. Where you lose 12V of pulsing power is where your problem is. Also, i'm still a little confused, did you check for power at the truck side socket? I know it sounds stupid, but check the bulb and bulb socket. A buddy brought a boat trailer to me last year said he rewired everything on the truck and trailer and couldnt get the left side to work. I cleaned and closed the socket up, took me five minutes and it was fixed.
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Before you go though all that, check the fuses. Tow systems have their own fuses.
  10. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

also if you have a 7 rv blade style pulg, stick a 4 flat adaptor in there and see it the test light will glow. if not check fuses, should be under the hood driver side. after that i would make sure the cenection at the plug is good, inside the plug aswell. your you die elc grease in the plug to keep corrosion down. good luck hope you find in elc is a pita to trace sometimes!
  11. Baseball1

Baseball1 Junior Member

Thanks a bunch guys! sorry, my computer was down for a few days. It was the mini fuse under the hood. I must of overlooked it in the beginning. I didn't realize there was a fuse for left and right. everything works great now. Thanks for all the input! Hope you all had a good holiday.