1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring ??/will this work

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Flake Chaser, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

I just bought a used air-flo mss used and need to power it up. I have an ez-dumper which gets power directly from battery. I'd like to tap into that instead of running a new cable all the way from the battery. Do you think there's enough power at that point to run the sander with out burning out motor. My other idea was plugging it into my trailer plug which has a 12v post in the middle and just run a switch up into cab. What's your thoughts ?
    Pete

2. yancy

yancy Senior Member

It would depend on how big the wire is (Gauge v amps) look at the motor and see how many amps it draws. on the trailer plug issue it would depend on the brand of truck, however if I remember correctly the hot wire on my GMC is only 12 ga I think. Its designed to keep batteries charged for campers not really heavy amp draw. and my wire goes directly in to the electrical center under the hood, it might be difficult to trace to put a switch in. I just bit the bullet and ran a separate wire to the back with several others to run lights and what not. it works well only took about 1hr to wire up.

3. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

your wire powering the insert should be sufficient to feed the spreader,them are normally a monarch pump so i would say it should be big enough but check cable size.
    second part is no on the power from plug.

4. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

if no wiring harness for spreader you can get another solenoid and put it by the insert motor and piggyback power from the insert's motor solenoid,you shouldn't be using the insert at the same time as spreader so you should be good,post pics to show what you have for some help.

5. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

Here's what I did

Well I bagged both those ideas and just used the battery from my old sander. I forgot I still had it. I use it in the summer on my travel trailer. It was fully charged sitting in the basement so I just put a on/off switch up in the cab. Can't wait to try it out.

Oh by the way the cables on the dumper are 10' battery cables so they could handle the load but I was worried that the motor wouldn't get enough amps to run it and burn it out with such a long wire run.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

There is going to be a tiny voltage drop from the length of cable. The big thing is the gage of the wire to carry the amps needed. If it's designed for and came with the dumper it should do fine. Copper wire has little resistance, so voltage drop is very low. If the connections are tight and protected with Dielectric Grease they should do good for years.