1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring Whelen s690 to ignition

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by hockeybri18, Feb 12, 2009.

1. hockeybri18

hockeybri18 Junior Member

Is there any way to wire the control box so it does not have power when the key is out of the ignition? I have heard to wire it to the fuse box but not sure if the fuse will be able to handle it. If anyone has had any luck with this, PLEASE let me know. I really hate dead batteries.
    Oh i have the s690 and i love it, but like i said i hate dead batteries!

Thank you

2. tbrownell

tbrownell Member

you can wire a relay in the power wire to your strobe pack and have it triggered by a key-on wire in the fuse panel. I wouldn't try pulling all your power through any of the key-on fuses as they are normally low amp circuits.

3. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Run a fused main line from the battery to a relay (make sure you use proper amperage fuse and relay) Ground the relay, and run a line from an ignition -fed wire to the other post on the relay. The line from the ignition feed can be taken from a very small guage wire under the dash, because all it does is switch on power supplied by the main line that has been run from the battery. The last post on the relay will be the line to your switch box.