1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring Up Soundoffs

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by DeereFarmer, Apr 1, 2011.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I'm going to be wiring in two Soundoff 500s to a switch next week. The switch is rated to 15 amps, so I shouldn't need a relay, right? I'm running them off the battery to a single throw switch. I know I'll need an inline fuse too. What gauge wire should I use for everything?

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i would use a relay anyway. you really don't want a large diameter wire running into the cab directly from the battery.
    run a small 18 gauge wire from the fusebox to a toggle switch, then out through the firewall to a relay. if it shorts out, it will not cause any damage and it is cheap insurance.
    and i would also use a circuite breaker instead of a fuse on the power wire from the battery to the relay.

3. DeereFarmer

What is the easiest way to connect a wire into the fusebox? Thanks for the info TJC

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Run a 16 ga. from the battery with a 10 amp FUSE not a breaker to the post number 30 on the relay. The hook the ground post number 85 on the relay to the battery. Post 86 on the relay will go the "load" on the switch. (once the switch is turned on this will flip the switch inside the relay on) Post 87 will power the lights once the switch in the cab is turned on.

If you want a Key hot for the switch. Get a fuse tap and connect it to a keyed ignition source. Radio is always a good one for something like this. I would put a fuse on this also. 10 amps will be fine. If the switch is luminated, just ground it at the battery. If you need any more help just ask.

5. DeereFarmer

Should I run 16 ga all the way back to the lights as well?

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Yeah. 18 will work, but it won't hurt to have a little heavier wire run if they are going to be on for a few hours.

7. DeereFarmer

They probably will never be on for more than 15 minutes, but I'll run the heavier wire back to the lights just incase. Thanks for the help. That's the information I needed. I've wired up tons of lights, but I want these ones to actually work the first time hahaha.

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Haha, yeah if ya need any more help, or have questions get ahold me. Disocative is another good one to ask questions to.

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I'm sure you'll be fine but if you aren't sure about doing it, my shop is in Brookline, NH right on Rt. 13, i certainly wouldn't mind giving you a hand if you wanted. Pulling the truck over the pit to run the wires underneath is always nice too!!

10. DeereFarmer

I appreciate the offer Mike! I should be fine, I'm going to tackle them tomorrow if I get some time in the afternoon. I never knew your shop was in Brookline. Where exactly on 13? I used to go up that way all the time to Epping NH. My uncle lives in Mason. I am pretty sure I saw your '06 parked at a house by the lake over the winter.

11. mcwlandscaping

Yes, that is my GF's house, assuming it was the one that sits down below the road way a bit....gotta love it! My shop is VERY close by to that place, just head back a little south on 13. Its right next to the sunnoco station on the south side, its a big red metal building. The owner of the building runs an auto shop out of most of it called DNG Auto, Truck, & Equipment Repair. I rent a garage bay on the south side of the building but do the majority of my own vehicle work and lighting installs for people on the auto shop side so i can use the pit and lift.

12. DeereFarmer

That is a small world! It was the house that sits back off the road and down a bit. I know right where your shop it. I used to buy a race fuel from that Sunocco station. That's really cool! I'm surprised I haven't seen you up there more often. It might have been too long ago, but you wouldn't know Spare Pair of Hands Landscaping would you? My uncle used to own it, but sold out about 5 years ago.

13. mcwlandscaping

What is it called now? I don't remember that name at all but do know of a company nearby that was bought from someone else not tooooo long ago and then had a name change. We should meet up sometime

14. DeereFarmer

I'm pretty sure he just sold the equipment to one guy and the accounts to someone different, but I don't really remember. I doubt that it is still a company. I'll let you know the next time I'm headed up that way.

15. mcwlandscaping

Gotcha! If you change your mind about the lights, offer still stands for whenever, just let me know....i'm always happy to work on lighting installations

16. DeereFarmer

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

17. DeereFarmer

Thanks for the help everyone. I got them installed today. It went pretty well over all and they worked first try. I can't wait until it gets dark to check them out.