1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wiring up back-up lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by doo-man, Dec 30, 2009.

1. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I have mounted my new lightbar and faced the takedowns to the rear, I want to wire them to turn on when I put the truck in reverse but also want to be able to turn it off so it wont turn on all the time only while im out plowing. I also want to be able to keep it wired to my switch box spst switch.

My question is can I run a spst switch triggered off my back-up lights and powered with a relay to supply the extra power required to power them?

Will I also have to run a 12v diode to keep current from feeding back when I used my switch box switch?

Thanks

2. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Sounds like it would work but what I'd do is try a 3 position switch so when the switch is in one position it will work as normal and position 2 should be able to fire up the others. YES make sure you have a seperate pwr sourse and inline fuse it.

I haven't tried to do that but it should be do able. If your truck is still under warrentee you may want to put the other lights on it's own switch and circuit. what's flipping a switch?

3. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

What is the model numbr of the light bar? Is it a low current or high current feed for the takedowns?

4. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

High current halogen bulbs 35watts I think.

5. SafetyLighting

Ok, so you want to use a relay. The key question is do you want to be able to use the lights when the vehicle is NOT in reverse?

6. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Yes I qant to use them with my switch box also its a pain to keep turnin them on when I reverse.

7. SafetyLighting

Ok, I'll make you a diagram. Standby.

8. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Cool much appreciated!

9. SafetyLighting