1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring up a switch box

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by farmerkev, Jan 22, 2010.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I have been running all the aftermarket lights I have through their own cheap little Orielly switches in the dash. This is everything from fog lights to cablights to my whelen resonder. But I have two new sets of strobes that I am installing, and instead of two more switches and holes in the dash I bought a switch box at the local tow truck outfitter. They said I could run my light bar through it. As I got home and started puttin it all togeher I realized that the wores coming out of the box that will go to my acsessory lights are real small, now all the leds and small stuff Im not worried about, but the gauge on my lightbar wiring is much smaller than the gauge of the wires with the switch box. Am I good to hook up to this or might this be an issue?

2. speedy

speedy Senior Member

If you're operating the high wattage lights through relays, then it's not an issue.

I don't know anything about a responder, does it have internal relays and a separate power supply?

3. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Im not sure what all this means sorry. Right now the switch box is gettin power straight from the battery. The switch box has 3 fuses built in the back. One of the power wires from there goes right to the light. I know nothing about the responders internals.

4. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

The Whelen Responder is a self contained LED mini light bar. It depends whether you have the CON3 (fluted lens with 3 circle looking led's) or the LIN6 model (more of a transparent lens with horizontal line led's). The power specifications say:
    CON3 models:3.0 amp draw (peak), 1.2 amp draw (avg)
    LIN6 models:6.0 amp draw (peak), 2.4 amp draw (avg)

5. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

What is the name or model of the switchbox? Ahhhh, the infamous "tow truck outfitter". I recently had to work on a flatbed that was built by a well known wrecker builder, not saying who. The wiring of the warning lights was crappy, at best. Poor quality, no weatherproof connections under the ramp itself.

6. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

This is an old model. Its not led. Its a Whelen Value Bar actually, but I saw the EXACT same one at a local lighting outfitter that was labled as a responder.

7. SafetyLighting

Yeah, the Responder also came in strobe and halogen.

What is the name or model of the switchbox?

8. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I couldnt tell you the make or model. I think it came off a wrecker that they tore down so it had no box or packaging or anything. The worst case scenerio is I hook it back up to the way Ive been running it which worked great so far.

9. SafetyLighting

Ok, what colors are the wires? And are they biggish or sort of small?

10. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

The switch box has the regular "biggish" red and black power/ground wires, then about 6 wires commin out the back comming off the switches which are all small. Im wondering if I canhook the responder up to one of these small wires since it has a bigger wire. its only runnin through a few short inches of small wire, but just wanting to make sure.

11. SafetyLighting

I'm not comfortable giving you advice on this without seeing the switchbox. If you can, take a couple pics so I can try to see the wire guages. You would probably be fine, however I do not want to be the cause of any issues with your equipment.

12. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Ill definately post up some pics to get some good advice. Sometime tommorow Ill try and post some.

13. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Here are two pics of the box (no markings anywhere) and a pic of the two wires hooked up right now. The bigger one is whats runnin to the lightbar and the other is the lead from the box.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Holy crap those pics are HUGE!!

15. SafetyLighting

LOLOL. Ok, well...........just make sure you have a 10 amp fuse protecting the wire for the mini-bar. The wire appears to be 18 awg, and it will handle 10 amps just fine for that distance.

Left/Forward/Right? LOLOL

16. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

There are 3 15amp fuses built into the back of the box, are these good enough for fuses?

Yea, I think i might replace theat switch with a regular 2 way. The other black switch is one that has to be held in the on positition and I dont think Ill ever have a need for that so i think that one might be being swapped as well.

Thanks for the help.

17. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

A momentary switch like that is good for something like changing intensity (power) level on strobes, or switching patterns on LEDs.
    Otherwise, probably not as useful for a plow operator.

18. SafetyLighting

Kev,
    You first need to make sure that those fuses are protecting the wires you are using. There are only 3 fuses, but more than three wires, so you need be sure what fuse is for what wire. Once that is done, I would swap the 15s for some 10 amp fuses just to be safe.

19. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

When I had it pulled apart, the fuses were bused to all the swithes, if that makes sense. The fuses were attached to a bus wire that had feeders goin to the switches. that is somewhat how I remember the setup.

20. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

you could also add some inline fuses that go to the lightbar itself too if you wanted.
    My sander controller is the same, with 1 central fuse, but i added extra ones just to be safe.