1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by trod81, Dec 23, 2013.

1. trod81

trod81 Member

New to the forum already gathered a lot of info from you guys, thanks.

Just spent a coupe hours installing wiring on my 2000 chevy 1500. I followed the diagram off of westerns website to a t. Checked the routes of all my wiring multiple times. Brand new solenoid. Problem: vehicle lights are all on(both drovers lights are dim passengers are both on and low beam is normal), then when I turn on my brights only my passenger light is on bright(low beam is now off) and both drivers lights are still on (dim). Please help! First plow ever.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What plow? Module or relays?

3. trod81

trod81 Member

Ultra mount(older 2 plug). It is 2 plug wiring with relays.

4. kimber750

Make sure head lamp plugs are on the correct lights, light blue and orange for low beam. Light blue and red for high beam. Be sure this is correct for the plugs on the actual truck lights and the light harness to the trucks factory light plugs. Also make sure your grounds are good.

5. trod81

trod81 Member

The plugs can't go opposite. They have single or double grooves. Any other options?

6. trod81

trod81 Member

I'm sorry I forgot to mention I purchased the wires used. Came off a truck exactly like mine and I have talked to the shop that took them off.

7. kimber750

If you are sure wiring is correct and grounds are good, I would replace the relays.

8. trod81

trod81 Member

I will be honest my red wire is just a straight wire. Is the diode necessary?

9. trod81

trod81 Member

We also wired the gray and purple wire to the same bulb on the drivers side. Not the same wire, but the same bulb. Could that bet problem? I just figured since it wasn't blinking it was my parking lamps.

10. trod81

trod81 Member

Thank you for all your help.

11. kimber750

gray and purple should go to turn signal. gray should be passenger side signal. purple drivers side signal. brown to park light

12. trod81

trod81 Member

See I wired both drivers side to signal bulb. I don't think my parking light bulb works.

13. trod81

trod81 Member

I really hope it's this simple. Shops around here wanted $400. I did it in 5, but wrong lol.

14. trod81

trod81 Member

There's three wires behind the turn signal bulb I wired purple to one and then gray to another of the three

15. kimber750

You need to probe the wires to find out which park, turn and ground.

16. trod81

trod81 Member

I did. Is the turn signal and parking light the same bulb?

17. trod81

trod81 Member

If that bulb acts as both parking and turn. Then yes I wired that part correctly. I was just unsure because there are 2 other bulbs. Thanks Merry Christmas

18. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

The brown wire is power to your headlight relays. You have 6 relays, correct? If you don't get power to the brown wire when you turn your headlight switch on, you'll never get the headlights to work properly. doublecheck your power and grounds at headlight GM changed the order in 2003, if the truck it came off of is late 2002 and newer, your positive and negative into the headlight adaptors is going to be different.

19. trod81

trod81 Member

Yes 6 relays. The wiring came off of an 01. I have a 00. I followed this diagram: page 6

http://www.storksauto.com/docs/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Wiring-Schematics-Western-unimount-Chevy-GMC.pdf

The only thing I'm not 100% on is the diode in the red wire going from relay #6 that gets tapped into the orange or dark blue wire(headlights).

Also, I'm unfamiliar with the object in he wire going from relay #2 to the fuse on the right in the diagram.

20. trod81

trod81 Member

Any other suggestions?