1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring Questions

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by oldmankent, Dec 17, 2014.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I've had some light sitting around for ages. Finally getting them set up. I have a question though. I have a rack on my truck and I'm putting 4 utility lights on it. I'm wondering how I should run the grounds for the lights. It is a system one rack, so there are 1/4" bolts holding the rack the the inside of the bed flange. I have about 18 bolts. If I were to just ground the lights to the rack (aluminum) do you think that is going to be good enough in the long run? Or should I run a dedicated ground for each light back to the frame? It could save me alot of wiring if I just ground to the rack. However, if it goes bad, then all the lights will be out. thoughts?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Run a gnd to each light. Do it right the first time..PERIOD

3. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I ran dedicated ground. Used 4 conductor outdoor rated cable. 1 conductor for GND, 1 for worklights, and 2 to lightbar, 1 each power and pattern. Spent a little more money on the cable, but easier to run 1 cable, looks better, and as stated above, done right the first and only time. I hate redoing any job.