1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring questions

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by eastcoastjava, Mar 8, 2014.

1. eastcoastjava

eastcoastjava Senior Member
    from Boston

Getting a set of hid away strobes for head and taillights as well as some thin led's for my back rack my question is how can I wire these in, specifically do I have to run it directly to the battery or is there something that I can run my strobe wires to and then run that to my battery. I really don't want to have 3 cables running directly to my battery. Also I want to have individual switches one for the hid aways and the other switch for my led's.

I suck at wiring, I usually had my buddy do it but he's deployed now. So I'm giving it a shot, please post anything or any equipment that would be useful.

Thank you in advance.

2. myzx6

myzx6 Member

You can run to your fuse box, or battery. If you don't already have one, now would be a great time to add a second battery or just use a double fuse setup for running 2 amps then you have 1 going to battery and 2 feeds off of that, hell I bought mine at Wal-Mart in the audio section

3. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

4. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

wiring

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my added panel as an example but this is more intricate than you probably want or need. Just showing what's available.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I have one 4ga cable ran to a 150 amp resettable beaker by battery. From there it runs behind back seat to fuse block with smaller fuses. From there I run work lights, air compressor, strobes, light bar, and more.

6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i run everything off the battery through relays. this way all the wiring inside the truck is low amperage.

7. eastcoastjava

from Boston

Thank you guys so far.

Ok so my next question were do I tap my switch into? Also do I have to use the flash pattern wire or can I just forget about that, i dont really care about changing flash patterns all that much.will I get the default if I don't wire it?

8. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

Most lights with multiple patterns default to the last pattern selected. It should say in the instructions.

9. eastcoastjava

from Boston

So far I'm thinking about running all the strobe tubes to the power supply that came with the hide away kit. From there run the wires from the hide away power supply to a distribution block then to the battery.

Still unsure though about how I would wire in my led's for my back rack. Could I some how connect it to the hide away power supply or should I go another route on wiring those in.

The hide away kit is the one strobes N more makes it has 4 tubes and my led's are nova sd24 surface mounts.

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Just pwr your LEDs to the power switch of the strobes

11. norfolk2way

norfolk2way Junior Member

I would bring it to a professional shop if you don't know how to do it. I see too many trucks burn up because someone didn't know what they were doing

12. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

^^^ Agreed. If you can take it to an installer do that for now, save yourself the hassle and confusion and risk of wiring something wrong. Then you can learn from it for the future by seeing a pro install done.

13. eastcoastjava

from Boston

Bought the led's this morning at a truck equipment place locally, got them wired up in about an hour and a half. Thought I screwed up, but it was a stupid mistake straight up forgot to reconnect the negative cable. But for the most part it went smoothly.

As for paying some place to do it, the quotes I received were outrageous the lowest one came in at $350 for just the install.

14. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

May sound outrageous to you, but someone could say the same thing about your plow pricing

Most shop installs are worth what you pay. They usually add some extra steps without telling you or charging you

15. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

PM sent........

16. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I have found that Ridge Runners work great for such projects

17. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

18. norfolk2way

norfolk2way Junior Member

a lot of ham guys use those. big money for Anderson plug stuff but works great

19. eastcoastjava

from Boston

Well I'm doing my hide aways today, I picked up a 6 way fuse block do I have to fuse it again between the fuse block and rocker switch or can I just run with the 15 amp fuse that's on the distribution block which hooks right up to the battery. My LEDs are going to be switched to the block, right now they are on a 5 amp inline fuse

20. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

First, make sure you have a fuse between the block and the battery, under the hood.

Second, the answer is no. There is no need to fuse the circuit after the block.

However, depending on what you are running, 15amps is too high of a fuse. Led's don't draw that much and a strobe power supply has a power in and separate switch leads. The power in should be a separate line fused at the same level as the unit. The turn on leads need only a low level fuse.