1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wiring question

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Tony350, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I currently have a cheap basic warning light non led on my plow truck. When it's cold the rotators don't want to spin. I would like to upgrade to an led mini lightbar. I have the current light hardwired to the up fitter switch in my ford. There is a plug so I can take the light off quickly if need be. Is what I am wondering if I get a new led mini lightbar they have multiple flash patterns how would I wire it in?

Can I just set the pattern to what I want and simple use my upfitter switch for a simple on/off switch?

I don't want to have to run another wire as fishing it through my lightbar is a pain. If it is just two wires one hot one ground does the flasher pattern switch just interrupt power momentarily to switch pattern?

I am looking for ideas on how to wire it the easiest way with one wire running to the light and using the upfitter switch for on off. Thanks for the ideas and help.

2. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

3rd wire is needed to change the pattern

3. Dash Flash

Dash Flash Member
    from Arizona

You've already got a handle on it. Yes, there are three wires in most mini-lightbars, one "hot", one chassis ground, and one momentary to change the flash patterns.

To use your upfitter switch, just wire the hot and ground, turn the light on, then touch the pattern wire to the hot side until you have the desired flash pattern. Then just tape the end of the pattern wire.

Our Mini-Magnum™ 'remembers' the last pattern selected and will return to it when you flip the switch on your upfitter box.

The Mini-Magnum™ consists of 24 Generation 3 H.O. 1-watt TIR4 LEDs with a heavy aluminum base and magnetic mount. Our factory-direct price is only $139.95, plus shipping. BUT right now we are offering a 10% discount to Plowsite members.

So, please take a look at the Mini-Magnum™ and, if you're interested, drop us a message saying that you're a Plowsite member. We'll then email you an invoice with your discount.

http://www.dash-flash.com/mini-magnum.html

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Thanks for the quick response. Do you know if it will still work if the pattern wire doesn't have power. I am not to worried about being able to switch the pattern? Hypothetically could I split the power wire out by the light, then the extra hot wire use that for power and a switch to control the flash pattern.

Not sure if it is a simple switch or if when press the pattern switch it interrupts power to the light momentarily.

5. Dash Flash

Dash Flash Member
    from Arizona

You do not have to power the pattern wire once you've selected the flash pattern you want. You can just tape the end of it.

If you want to change the pattern later, just touch the wire to a power source momentarily while the light is operating. If your upfitter box has a mometary switch, you could also connect the pattern wire to that.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Just power and gnd, other wire is flash selector, either gnd or pwr. Touch to either and flash changes. That's it. And it "remembers" the pattern all the time

7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Thanks for all the help one more thing to give thanks to today. Didn't want to buy to find out it would be a pain to get it to work. Now I just need to figure out which one I want!

Another question my current one is magnet mount but I was able to drill two holes in the plastic base and drop a bolt through the hole. Then ran a nut up to the plastic base leaving about 1 inch of threads hanging down. Drilled to holes in my rack. The magnets hold it down and the threads of the bolt make sure it can't slip off if you hit a pile to hard. Do the LEDs have an area in the bottom that you can pop a few holes through the bottom of it?

8. Dash Flash

Dash Flash Member
    from Arizona

Hi, Tony.

I can't speak for any other products, but with our Mini-Magnum™ you could do the same thing you've done with your rotator bar. That is, you can drill out the screws that hold the magnets and, using the same holes, bolt the bar to your rack.

Happy Thanksgiving!