1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PHS79, Nov 13, 2014.

1. PHS79

PHS79 Member

I work for a municipality, we have a 2013 Chev 3500HD SRW 6.0L 4X4 that runs a 8' Hiniker plow and Swenson poly V-box sander running a Honda motor. The original motor took a dump and got replaced, but now it is not charging the battery even though we have had it back to the shop a couple of times trying to get the charging problem fixed. Right now after a day of plowing the battery is almost dead and has to be put on the charger over night, I think I may have come up fix, or atleast a band-aid for the problem.

The me if this will work. The truck has 12V power to the rear via the 7 pin trailer harness, so my thought was to make a power plug by using a 7 pin plug and running a wire from the 12V side of the plug to the positive of the battery and another wire from the ground side of the plug to the negative of the battery. My thinking is that this should charge the battery all the time, I am correct?
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Believe they have a fuse or circuit breaker on them for the charge circuit. Maybe you have a bad charge coil. Using the 7 way would work until you tried to start the spreader engine, the draw would likely blow the fuse for that circuit.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You can do that, I would suggest you running separate pwr and gnd wires straight back from your trk battery.
    I did ours a long time.ago with 10g and some connectors, worked great and had separate hot and gnd for anything we needed
    Fused of course