1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by cm104, Feb 22, 2013.

1. cm104

cm104 Junior Member
    from CT

I had the 9' HD straight blade installed on my new 3500HD duramax at the local dealer.

What would cause the left signal mirror to light up when the parking/headlights go on, but only intermittently? Lights would be on then all the sudden down the road, signal lights up. It would go off down the road and on/off again. I noticed when trying to signal left the fender clearance lights would flash (i am assuming all parking lights were flashing but couldn't see. I can't duplicate this at will. But it has happened recently, without the plow attached (last used 2+ weeks ago). Any ideas what could cause this. I tried looking for crossed/shorted wires, but it happens only periodically some maybe bouncing around jostles something. The dealer who installed it, said it would be over 1 week maybe 2 before he would have a chance to look at it.

I am assuming it is from the plow installation, the truck never had this problem before, but it did have less than 10,000 mi. And I dread having to go all that way to the closest dealer for a plow problem that I'm sure they won't fix.

2. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

If you had it installed at a dealer bring it back to them to fix, sounds like the drivers side splice wires are wrong, directional to park and park to directional. easy to mix up, they used to be color coded now they have writing so small it's almost impossible to read with older eyes (even with cheaters).

3. cm104

cm104 Junior Member
    from CT

I plan on returning it to the dealer unfortunately as I said before it is going to be at least 2 weeks till they have an opening.

I know it is not a simple splicing mistake since it only happens intermittently. That why I asked here. Curious if it could be a faulty module or something along those lines.

4. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

If you were to put your left directional on right now would the parking lights flash?

5. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

check where the wires where they are spliced into your trucks light harness. its possible they may be rubbing against eachother cross feeding eachother. ive seen some horrible ways of this connection being done. one of the most important things to check is all your grounds. those are black with an orange stripe.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

x2 on the chaffing wires. ck up front by both headlights and follow the wires on back to the module