1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring question...

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Malinski Mowing, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Malinski Mowing

Malinski Mowing Junior Member
    from MN

I am in the process of wiring a Chevrolet 3500HD Duramax, I have all the wirining working except the plow and truck light switch. When in truck position the truck headlights are on, when on plow position the truck and plow lights are on. I am guessing I have something hooked up wrong. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

You have one of your adapters upside down there is an a and a b side one is plugged in wrong, Check all them carefully. They are easy to get mixed up.

3. Malinski Mowing

from MN

you were correct, thanks

4. Malinski Mowing

from MN

another question - Do you have to put the controller power wire on an ignition fuse or can you put it on an all time power fuse, if I make sure to shut off the controller everytime?

5. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

It needs to be connected to an ignition fired fuse, otherwise it can drain your battery

6. Malinski Mowing

from MN

I tied into #3 SWC BLKT (I believe) but the controller would not power on unless the headlights were on. Does anyone know which one to go to? Otherwise I will find it but if someone could save me time, Thanks

7. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

What year is your duramax?

8. Malinski Mowing

from MN

2011, all the ignition sources I am locating are lock and unlock fuses and they only have power when the lock unlock button is used.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  9. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Down on the lower left floorboard/firewall behind the emergency brake is a black box where you can tap ignition "hot" sources used for upfitting. Check the terminals with a tester to determine which ones are ignition sources as opposed to full-time hot sources.

10. Malinski Mowing

from MN

So do not use the fuse panel in the dash?

11. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

wiring

Glad i could help!:mechanic:

12. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

The fuse panel in the dash has all fuses hot from the battery and are not switched through the ignition

13. Malinski Mowing

from MN

Thanks for all the help

14. Wiedmann

Wiedmann Member

I'm having this problem with my lights not working on my 2012 duramax. I keep seeing stuff about A side and B side. I'm looking at the adapters but I don't see A or B on them. Can anyone help me figure this it? I've got turn signals and have the "amber" running lights on the plow but no lights on the plow. Seems like the plug and play can only be clipped in one way...

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you try the controller yet to see if it powers up? I'll go out on a limb and say it may not because it sounds like the plow harness doesn't have either power or ground, which it needs to operate the relay pack and thus switch the lights from the truck to the plow. So double check your work paying attention to the small brown and red leads that should be on the battery terminals, as well as the black/red you should have connected to a key ignition source. Verify all these with a test light- not simply with a visual look see.

You can also check for B+ on the two black wires at the truck/plow light rocker switch. One should have B+ with the ignition on and the other should have it with the switch in the "plow" lamp position.

16. Wiedmann

Wiedmann Member

As far as power to the plow.. i can move the plow with no problem and have the controller working. The switch that would be in the truck has power to it. I've seen it spark when i hook the two wires on the harness up to it and can hear the relay click when i continuously click between truck and plow on the little switch. I don't have a test light but it seems i may need to. I did make sure all the connections on the headlights on the truck and relays weren't loose. Even switched the headlight harnesses from each side and put them on the other side of the truck. Checked the red and yellow connectors on the wiring harness and made sure they were in the correct direction for chevy truck.

Taking it to the dealership tomorrow to fix a hydraulic leak on my new plow and hopefully they can lead me in the right directions to what I have done wrong. Just doesn't make sense to me

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

When you flip the switch (or hotwire it) do the truck lights go out?

18. Wiedmann

Wiedmann Member

Nope, there is no change in the truck lights. as reading all over plow site with guys having trouble i seen that the lights would go off.. but mine stay on. i have to have something wrong but it seems like a easy adapter to install and i already have turn signals and amber lights on the plow