1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Admiral Hockey, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Admiral Hockey

Admiral Hockey Junior Member

Another question from a Newbie :help:

In the process of adding an 8' Western to my 86' F-250. I would like to mount a pair of lights under the rear bumper. The question I have is this I would like to hook them up to a three way switch so that I can have them off- on- or auto on in reverse.
    Any feedback on whether or not this is worth while........or should I just keep them on?

Andy :drink up:
  2. EIB

EIB Senior Member

This was discussed not to long ago. Do a search on back up lights. You'll have a lot of reading.
  3. Plow Dak

Plow Dak Member
    from Maine

Hey Admiral Hockey

You can have it anyway you want. :)

Wouldn't be to hard to hook up. HOWEVER !!

If it was me i would have it auto in rev or off.
    The reason being you might forget them on running down the road and leave them on. Even though they are mounted low
    it does tend to upset people behind you. ( It does me anyway)
    Just my 2 cents
  4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Welcome to Plowsite!

There are very explicit directions posted by Alan here. Look for his posts in those threads when you do the search (1-2 years ago). If you can't find them let me know as I may have them on my computer somewhere. Good luck.
  5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Under the bumper might not be the best place for them. They could easily be damaged when backing into snow banks in tight areas.

Plus, the higher they are mounted, the more visibility they will provide. If you are not running a salter (that you can mount them on) then I suggest a way to mount them in the stake pockets at the corners of the bed.

Here's the thread with Alan's diagram.

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you mount them under the bumper,add a remote ground wire,and leave them loose,so they fold up under the truck when you back into a pile.They won't get damaged this way.
  8. Admiral Hockey

Admiral Hockey Junior Member

Thanks to all that have replied, I am still planning on using a BackRack for some of the lights, and mabye a couple under the bumper as well. I had gone through a search, but did not find the diagram done by Alan so a special thanks to Chuck for pointing me in the right direction, and also to alan for the diagram

9. E&B

E&B Member

I mounted mine under the rear quarters to the side of the trailer hitch and wired them off the reverse lights with a relay so I can have them off/on all the time or on just with the reverse lights. The key is to mount them high enough under the truck so you don't take them out if you back into a snow bank.
  10. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

Its illegal too, at least here, white light showing to the rear. Dont need to attract the cops and then have customers wondering where you are.
  11. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

The problem I see with this is if you forget to turn the switch to off and put it in reverse you have two power sources to the lights. This could fry your wiring.
  12. E&B

E&B Member

A properly installed relay will take care of that problem.