1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by lawnangel1, Nov 29, 2010.

1. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 Member
    from KY

I realize this is the Strobe section but it seemed like the best place to ask. I am wiring a backup camera to my existing aftermarket in dash video player. The camera hooks to my dvd display via an RCA cable, there are also 2 other wires. The first wire is a ground wire, the second is a wire to go to my back up lights so the camera will automatically turn on when I put the truck in reverse. I want to install some sort of override switch so I can leave the camera always on while plowing. How do i do this? What will I need. I am a novice so I need as much detail as possible. Thanks in advance.
  2. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

run a ignition power to toggle switch then back to the wire that hooks to the reverse lights, but then you will have to flip the switch when you back up with getting into pretty complex wirirng.
  3. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Yea I dont see why the above wouldnt work. Make a 12v ignition (could go off ignition for radio wire) on one prong. Use second prong for the back up 12v supply and the last one for ground. In up position it should be on all the time and down position should be as normal.
  4. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 Member
    from KY

What about a diode and a toggle switch into the reverse wire?
  5. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

there you have it....run the diode on the reverse wire so you don't back feed power into it when you over ride......then just take a tiny switch and go from radio power to camera in....switch on reverse cam on...switch off ....reverse cam shifter action....

BTW...put the stripe on the diode toward the radio not the reverse wire.
  6. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 Member
    from KY

Thank you very much!!!
  7. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

You can also just use a SPDT relay. Pin 30 to the camera, pin 87a to the reverse wire, Pin 87 to power, pin 86 to ground, and pin 87 to your switch.