1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wiring Q's

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by JDWalkbehind, Jul 3, 2009.

1. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

well i just bought another plow and i have 99-02? wiring and mounts for a 250/350 that came with the plow. i have a 96 F250 how can i test the wiring to make sure it works? can i just hook the wiring to the batt and plug it in to the plow to see if it works? Any help would be great. thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The plow controls are easy to check/test by connecting right to the battery as you mentioned but the headlamps are not that easy. Also depends on which style harness you're working with (relay/Iso etc) as to how tough or easy it is to test the headlamps.

3. JDWalkbehind

it's with relays. any ideas on how to hook it up? i'm more concerned about checking the plow conrols. so as long as i hook it to the batt an plug in both connetors for the plow i should atleast be able to move the plow with the controller? is that correct? thanks

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Use the diagrams in the mechanics guide to walk you through the connections: Mechanics Guide Page 10 and 15 are most helpful.You can then test plow functions.

Once you have all the heavy gage battery leads connected and the harness plugged into the plow you can also temporarily test the plow headlamps by using a fused 12V jumper wire connecting it to the black wire on the low beam relay and the white wire on the high beam relay one at a time. You can also test the turns and markers by touching each of their respective wires with your fused 12V jumper lead.

Make sure you don't miss the small gage orange/black ground wire and of course the small gage red wire near the controller while making your temp connections or else the harness will not function.

5. JDWalkbehind

alright i'll have to try that and let you know how it goes. thanks!