1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wiring problems

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by scotscan, Oct 9, 2009.

1. scotscan

scotscan Junior Member

ok i've searched and read about other probs , i've looked at the schematics from western and monarch pumps i cannot get this thing to work the pump is a 683 monarch with toggle controls it has a 4 post solinoid that looks like it is not original. the motor will run if i jump it the controls work only if i ground the solinoid but the motor wont run if i ground both the motor and the solinoid i get a dead short. i have three wires going to the solinoid black brown and white i do not know a thing about this but i could use some help.

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Based on your infor. I would rig some wiring up so I can get the plow motor to spin. Then add power to the solenoid wires ( if you got solenoids on the pump body) and see what each individual one does. Some solenoids to get the p umps to run are either negatively grounded with a p ower wire to the terminal, others have the negative wire to the terminal and by applying ground it causes the solenoid to close. Hope that helps a bit.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

4. scotscan

scotscan Junior Member

my problem is the pump motor works if i jump it the solinoid clicks if i hook it up i have three wires and a 4 post solinoid black, brown and red where do they connect

5. Crash935

Black should go to the large terminal that you have power coming from the battery,
    Brown should be on a small terminal
    other small terminal should go to a good ground

6. scotscan

scotscan Junior Member

ok where does the red/white wire go i think it was red its faded black and brown are for the toggle switch i assume so the red must be for the motor how do you know what kind of solinoid you have is there a test

7. Crash935

where does the red wire come from?

8. scotscan

scotscan Junior Member

it comes out with the rest of the wires

9. Crash935

There should only be 2 wires coming out of the harness for the solenoid, did you look at the schematics from that link?

10. scotscan

scotscan Junior Member

yeah ive looked at the schematics thats whats driving me crazy i think the red is for the motor

11. Crash935

Have you scrolled farther down and looked at the controller wiring and motor solenoid wiring and tried working back from there? Is it possible some rewired it. Does it have a ring terminal on it and is it big or small?

How about a pic of the solenoid?

12. scotscan

scotscan Junior Member

according to the switch guide i'm wired correctly i just cant figure out where the wires go on the solinoid i think the solinoid is insulated from ground i have a jumper from bat to small post and if i give it ground on the other post it runs but the wires get real hot and i cant adjust the plow its got to be the wiring to ground i just cant figure it out

13. Crash935

Try red to pos in, black to ground, brown to solenoid start

14. scotscan

scotscan Junior Member

thank for all you're help the last post worked i have the plow moving now side to side but it will not lift is there any adjustments i can make how do you know if you have enough fluid
    once again i really appreciate you're help if i'm ever in you're area i'll buy you a beer

15. Crash935

You should be able to see fluid up to the metal tube that runs just under the fill hole.

Is the motor is running when you try and raise? Did you top off the fluid after angling?

16. scotscan

scotscan Junior Member

got it going now but moves real slow the fluid was low this is my first plow so bear with me the plow angles slightly when i raise it is there an adjustment i can make

17. Crash935

It moves left and right without any problems?
    Does it sound like the motor is straining when angling or raising plow?
    Any differance in sound between angle and raise?
    Which way does it try and angle when you raise?

Where in MI are you?

18. scotscan

scotscan Junior Member

yeah it sounds like it working hard when trying to raise and it angles very slightly to the left las night when i lowered the blade the oil overflowed out the fill hole maybe i put to much fluid in it.

i live in perth ontario canada

19. Crash935

Sounds like you have a valve that is not opening all the way, let me dig out my info on that pump.

20. scotscan

scotscan Junior Member

i took the battery and had it checked its bad so i'm thinking tat a new battery will solve my probs once agin thankyou for all your help