1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring problems on a RT-2

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by hydro_37, Nov 6, 2007.

1. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I am hooking up my new to me RT-2. I have 1 wire on the solenoid going to the plow. 1 wire going to the positive battery terminal. A small wire going to ground and the other small wire going into the wire harness. When I try to hook the main ground wire up it sparks ALOT. Any idea what I am doing wrong? It is wired just like the manual shows but I still get big-time sparks when I try to hook up the ground.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Two questions first hydro:

You connected the white/black wire from the harness to one of the small studs on the solenoid and you have a small individual ground wire to a grounding source on the other small stud correct?

What did you connect the small black wire coming out of the harness inside the truck to?

3. hydro_37

from iowa

Yes on the first question. The black wire that is fused inside the truck was connected to a "key-on" hot fuse.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, so far everything sounds right, two more questions...what did you mount the solenoid on? And do you have the plow connected to the truck now?

Double check that none of you power cables are touching anything or that they didn't get cut through the insulation during the removal and reinstall.

5. hydro_37

from iowa

The solenoid is mounted to the inside of the fender . (attached to meteal with a nut and bolt. The plow is not connected to the truck. I dont have the mount on the truck yet. Was just running all the wiring and wanted to make sure it was working. Checked all wires. The battery cables are new. I really appreciate the help B&B. Troubleshooting w/o seeing it is very hard to do.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:D That's no lie there! LOL!

Ok, I want you to do two things to see if the solenoid is shorted out internally..

Remove it from the fender and lay it on a shop rag or something to prevent it from touching anything on the truck.(leave the battery cables connected to it). Now touch your last ground cable to the battery..does it still spark just as bad?

If so, then also remove the small ground wire off the small terminal on the solenoid (keeping the solenoid isolated from grounding with the rag)..now touch the battery with the ground cable again.. does it still spark?

Doing both these tests will positively isolate the solenoid 12V power from any ground on the truck except the actual wiring harness..this will tell you if the problem is in the control/harness or in the solenoid.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  7. hydro_37

from iowa

I am at home and the truck is at the shop. Will try those things first thing tomorrow and will report back. Thanks again. Tim

8. hydro_37

from iowa

It was the solenoid. Hats off to you B&B. :salute: I have the headlight adapters from the Dodge truck it was on. I am guessing I will need Ford adapters now? Only lights I have are the passenger side parking light.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad it was a simple fix hydro..

As to the lights, depending on what year Dodge it came of off and what year ford your putting it on, there's a good chance you will need a different set of head light adapters for it to work correctly.

10. hydro_37

from iowa

The Dodge was a 2001 and the Ford is a 1989. Can I just buy the frame brackets for this Ford? I have the center nose piece from the Dodge mount. The Boss dealer closest to me is not much help. He is in the construction business and is too busy to answer questions. I bought the solenoid from him but can't even get mount info or pricing... :dizzy:

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then your gonna need the correct light adapters for your truck if you want it to be "plug and play"..

The pushbeam you have off the Dodge wont do you any good as it's not the same width and it wont have the correct bracket locations as the one you need for your Ford..your gonna need a complete mount..p/n LTA03570

12. hydro_37

from iowa

Dang B & B ...I am gonna owe you a few cold ones now... :drinkup: :drinkup:
    Any idea on price on that mount? On my Sno-Ways the nose piece is universal and you just order frame brackets. This is my first Boss and so far I am pleased with it.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thank's hydro! I'll put you down for a couple on my "owe" list :D

You might want to search around for a used mount as a new ones gonna run you about $500-$600 depending on where you buy from..