1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring problems. Need Help!

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by AlvarezMetal, Nov 16, 2013.

1. AlvarezMetal

AlvarezMetal Junior Member

I'm installing an old Meyer plow on an 2006 Ford Expedition. I've followed all the wiring diagrams and it's still not working. I need help please.

Here is what I have going on as far as connections. I have an E57 pump with an old touch pad controller.

**Blue power wire has a 10 amp fuse going to the fuse box. It only powers up when the key is in the on position.

**Orange wire runs to the battery negative terminal.

**Red, Black, and Green wires all run to their proper coil on the pump.

**White wire is going to the 3 connection Meyer solenoid. It's connected to the small terminal.

**Solenoid is mounted to the fire wall and the bracket is properly grounded.

**The battery positive runs to the solenoid. It's connected to the large terminal with the sticker labeled "BAT".

**The pump motor positive terminal is connected to the remaining large terminal on the solenoid.

** The negative pump motor terminal got to the negative battery terminal and there is an additional lead that connects to the bottom of the pump housing.

Now with all of this connected they way I described here is what I have going on.

*The controller is lit up even when the ignition switch is off. If I disconnect the blue power wire it still stays lit up. The switch at the bottom of the controller doesn't seem to do anything. when I press the right or down button on the controller I hear a click on the plow pump. I don't hear anything when I press up or to the left.

*I'm assuming the white wire going to the solenoid is to power the solenoid witch turns on the solenoid making the connecting from the battery positive to the pump motor. With that being said that small terminal on the solenoid is constantly powered up even when the white wire isn't connected to it. If this normal? From what I understand about solenoids (that's not much) that shouldn't be happening. Also when should the white wire have power running to it? I need to test it but don't know when it should activate. I'm assuming when I press up left or right on the controller?

*When I've removed all the wires going to the solenoid and supplied the smaller terminal with power to see if it clicks and it does. The solenoid is brand new so I'm hesitant to think it's bad.

What do you think my problem is? Or do I have more than one problem? I'm stumped and need help please.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What kind of solenoid is it? An auto one or a plow one? How many pins?

3. AlvarezMetal

"**White wire is going to the 3 connection Meyer solenoid. It's connected to the small terminal."

4. dieselss

So its only 3 terminals?

5. AlvarezMetal

Yes it is. I just got word from someone else that the Solenoid maybe a Western not a Meyer. Napa might have gave me the wrong one.

This is what I was told:

"Wrong solenoid. The small post is getting power from the bat side internally. That was used on older Western plows that provided ground to the small post to engage the solenoid. Meyer sends power to the small post via the white wire as you know. So you just need a new solenoid that grounds through the mounting base. You have everything else correct."

Do you agree?

6. dieselss

Well all but the western solenoid comment
    What I would do is. Leave everthing hooked up. Take the white wire off, and test light the small terminal and see if you have pwr there. Then take off your bug batt pos and test light the terminal again and see if pwr went away. If yes then its the wrong solenoid. It can be a 4 pin solenoid, and it can be a Western, Meyer,boss, or timbrata. It don't have to be a meyer, just fyi

7. AlvarezMetal

Thank you. I'm going to go get a 4 prong one right now because no one local has the Meyer 3 prong. Someone at PepBoys just told me he's been using a ford 4 prong for years and it's been working for him.

However is that switch on the bottom of the controller a power switch? When everything is hooked up properly should that switch power up the lights on the controller and power them off when It's off? Just asking to make sure that's working properly when I get the solenoid. Also I'm assuming the pump should run only when lifting the plow or turning it left or right? I'm assuming because it's the chain type that gravity deals with lowering it? Again just asking because I don't have the actual plow blade here in my shop and I need to make sure the pump and everything is working properly before I go pickup the blade.

8. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You can always high chain it if something happens and the pump doesn't work

9. dieselss

Im assuming the switch on the touch pad is your on/off switch
    Yes motor only runs with up left right functions. When you get the new solenoid, post what it is and ill help you through the install process. Just to clear up any q?s you might have