1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wiring problem?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by lownrangr, Dec 16, 2007.

1. So this is just awesome to happen now. Long story short, the plow ain't workin'. Last night it started acting up and the green power button/light was real dim and the plow wouldn't move. It seemed to work when I moved and jiggle the control wire (that goes from the plow to the truck) around. So, i cut out the bad section of wire, spliced in a known good section. Now, the power is fine, but the plow doesn't move at all. Any suggestions, would be great oterwise I'll be forced into early retirement.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Does the control lights flicker?

Are you sure you got all the wires correctly attached

3. yea it kinda did flicker, but now it's solid after i spliced a good section of wire in, just now the plow doesn't move. No solenoid clicking or anything. I'm thinking a bad control wire off of the plow?

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Does the green light on the control flicker when you try and do a function? This is a visual indicator for you that the control is sending a signal to the receiver.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  5. yea i think when i tried to raise it the green light would flicker. I'll have to double check that though. What would that mean?

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

THE FLICKER MEANS THE CONTROL IS SENDING A SIGNAL.

Try hooking the control directly to the plow, taking the truck harness out of the system. does it work now?
    Have you checked the fuses under the cover?

7. yeah the truck harness isn't in question, it's the control wire coming from the plow. If it's sending a signal then i have no idea of what the problem is now. I'll do some more brainstorming. Question--can i buy a new control wire and splice it in? I don't know if sno-way sells them.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Just because the controller is sending a signal, that doesn't mean that the receiver is working.

So the wire you broke is the wire coming out of the receiver?

and you are sure you have the white to white, green to green, and black to black?

If all the wires are connected correctly and the control flickers and all the fuses are OK then I would guess you have a bad receiver. The easy way to check is throw a known good receiver in the unit and see if that fixes it.

9. yea i triple checked that the wires were connected green/green, white/white, black/black. anyone have an extra reciever laying around?!

10. toby4492

Have you double checked your main power circuit? Do you have 12 volts arriving at the start solenoid?

11. there is power at the solenoid, but i don't hear that little tick when you power everything up. How much do recievers cost? chances are prolly pretty good that it's close to what I paid for the plow...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  12. toby4492

Do you have power at any of the coils? If you have 12V arriving at the solenoid try a function. Does the solenoid engage? If not try jumping the solenoid and then try a function. If you get activity you have a bad solenoid. Let us know what you find.

13. no, the solenoid doesn't click. yes i did jump the solenoid and the motor did run, but nothing happened when I tried a function. How can i test the coils? I'm sailing some uncharted waters here so please bear with me. <----man, that sounds like a newbie comment.

I'm so confused why things aren't working. Things were fine until I found that broken wire.

14. hey, would you mind if I gave you a call?

15. toby4492

Check you PM box.

16. SIMPLY KUSTOMS

SIMPLY KUSTOMS Junior Member

I have an issue similar to this. My truck was in an accident over the sumer, and cut the control wire from the mount to the cab. I replaced the entire cable and only get the green LED to come on on the controller. The light flickers on the controller when I try an actions, but no motion of the plow. If I plug my controller directly in to the plow, it works fine. I'm really sctaching my head on this

17. toby4492

If you plug the control directly to the plow and everything works fine, then the control and plow are not an issue. The only thing left would be the harness that you replaced. Check the grill connection and make sure that the pins are properly seated in the connector. Also check the connector that you assemble in the cab for proper pin placement. Let us know what you find.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check the continuity of all the wires in the truck harness. remember it's only a extension cord. check and make sure you have not twisted a wire off inside one of the plugs. It's not uncommon for a customer to turn the wrong portion of the plug and break one of the wires, most often in the cab.

19. picked up a new reciever today and all is well now. I had to drive to ohio to get it though. I was lucky they had it on hand because I called about 20 places from michigan, indiana, ontario and ohio and no one stocks them. woohoo, i'm so happy it works now!

20. SIMPLY KUSTOMS

SIMPLY KUSTOMS Junior Member

I'm going to work on it this weekend, I'll let everyone know what I find. If I did put one of the pin terminals in the wrong position, can I order a replacment cab side connector and pin terminals, or do I have to buy another cable? Thanks everyone for their help on this